Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Mempo Question...

  • michael A
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
      greetings again,
      things being as described below, you can either seek
      out an armorer locally, most will open their shop up
      to those that wish to learn, or if you need to "
      cheat" for the time being.... please feel free to
      contact me if you ever out to chicago. Id be happy to
      work with you so you can learn to pound steel while
      making a menpo.
      ---kiyohara

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • madnative81
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
        Being into weaving, I've learned a few interesting tidbits about
        various fibers that are native to Japan. Hemp itself, and as it
        relates to Japanese culture, is quite unique.
        Firstly, as Solveig-dono pointed out, it takes on dyes poorly. Even
        with strong, modern chemical dyes, one tends to only get hemp to take
        on fairly earthen hues, or at the most, very deep purples or blues
        from working the bejeezers out of it. :o)
        If memory serves me right, the Japanese learned this fairly early on,
        I think in the Heian era. From there, a couple of Shinto religous
        nutters contemplated why this was (I'm guessing to cover up their
        addiction), and started claiming it was a "pure" gift from Ameratsu
        or some of the other higher-ups in the Shinto mythology pantheon, and
        thus would not allow itself to be tainted/altered.
        So even after dying methods improved in period, it was, and still is,
        often left in its natural color for religous ceremonies and purposes.
        Not to draw conjectures, but the kamishimo we're looking at may be
        designed to that end.

        My two sen worth,
        Nagamochi

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir
        <nostrand@a...> wrote:
        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
        > which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a
        few
        > other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

        > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
        ---+
        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS,
        Fleur |
        > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
        Est |
        > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:Solveig@d... |
        > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
        ---+
        > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
        to |
        > | the trash by my email
        filters. |
      • Donald Luby
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
          On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

          > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
          > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
          > lightweight plastic instead?
          >
          > Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
          > I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
          > spray painting it black.
          >
          > Would that work behind a full face grill?
          >
          > Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

          I would think it would be legal, with the following conditions:

          1. it be completely covered by your (otherwise completely legal) face
          grill and neck armor;
          2. it be made of shatterproof plastic (the same requirements as
          glasses, for the same reasons - we don't want sharp shards of plastic
          inside your helmet during combat);
          3. it be snugly strapped down so as to not slide out of place (esp. if
          it were to block your vision or air if it were to do so);
          4. it not interfere with the attachment mechanism(s) of your helmet
          (i.e. it doesn't cause your chinstrap to side and thus the helmet
          rotate, or reduce the effectiveness of the protective qualities of the
          helmet, &c).

          On top of all this, I'd recommend that any place where the was direct
          contact between the menpo and the helmet (incl helmet padding), which
          I'd try to avoid, that the menpo be padded so as to not be driven into
          your head by an impact on the helmet.

          > Namaste,
          > Qara Unegen

          Sir Koredono
          AEthelmearc Earl Marshal
        • Diane Taylor
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
            Okay, I know there are a lot of you guys out there who
            are more knowledgeable *pardon the misspellings, new
            keyboard* in these topics than myself so bear with my
            inept questions. :D

            Nuns, did they go beyond their monestary walls to beg
            for alms food?

            Is there any record of the life of a Zen Nun in the
            allowed SCA timeline.

            I'm thinking of creating a Zen persona as backup plan
            in case my asthma kicks in again and I can't fight.

            Of course, if any moneytary stuff was involved, I'd be
            donating it to the Great Western War, which will be my
            big event for the year.

            Any ideas, hints, or just plain giggles and grins at
            my thought?

            Thanks in advance for any finger pointing in the right
            direction.
            Qara Unegen

            http://mail.yahoo.com