Re: [SCA-JML] I am beset by pesky ninjas..

  • Nevin Broz
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3 1:36 PM
      Being a student of the Bujinkan traditions I feel that I may be of some use. Our lineages have been traced and are verified as legitimate. The "Bugei Ryuha Daijiten", (which is the record of all Japanese legitmate schools) lists all the schools, and Dr. Hatsumi as Grandmaster. As well, he is still the only recognized living ninja by the Government of Japan. Here is a link to my Sensei's website. There is quite a bit of info if you are interested.

      http://www.bujinkan.hr/index-en.php

      As we say, "Gambatte ne!" (keep going <training>)

      Nevin Z. Broz
      Shidoshi-ho
      Bujinkan Seishin Ninpo Ronin Dojo

      "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
      > I know many of you have knowledge and resources unavailable to me, so
      > I was hoping that you would help me out.
      >
      > This website:
      > http://www.illuminatedlantern.com/cinema/features/ninja.html
      >
      > seems to jibe best with the history as I have come to understand it.
      > What I am hoping for is that some of you might read this and give me
      > your opinion as to it's credibility and accuracy.

      That website doesn't seem too far off what I've seen.

      The problem with 'ninja' is that it has gotten tied up with 'ninjutsu'
      in terms of the ryuha that claim a specific 'ninjutsu' lineage.
      People seem to have the idea that if they were a 'ninja' then they
      followed these teachings. Without getting into the historical
      validity of claims made by traditions today, realize that 'ninja', or
      more appropriately 'shinobi-mono' were not, in our period, anything
      more than a 'special forces' team.

      As an example, during Go-Daigo's revolt against the Hojo regents,
      Kamakura forces at one point scaled the sides of the fortified temple
      where Go-Daigo was staying under the cover of darkness. They
      pretended to be friendly troops to gain access to the inner levels and
      then caused panic from the inside, allowing their friends outside to
      attack.

      This is shinobi-mono. There is nothing Chinese about it. There isn't
      even a special school in this instance. The 'tricks' were simply
      battlefield tactics, and the term 'shinobi' implied that they were
      done with stealth.

      As another example (and forgive me if I forget the names right off the
      top of my head), a castle was beseiged on all sides. A few warriors
      were able to escape undetected and brought reinforcements to break the
      seige. These are 'shinobi', or 'ninja', at least while they were
      being stealthy.

      Now, these 'shinobi-mono' often get confused with a more modern
      concept of 'ninja' that is that of the elite peasant warrior who is
      part of a secret clan defying the buke, using 'ninjutsu'
      ('shinobi-no-sube') and secret combat skills learned from China.

      This latter group I have not yet found any pre-Edo documentation for.
      Kukishinden Ryu claims to have old scrolls going back to someone from
      China, but I've not seen any verification of this claim that would be
      accepted by historical scholars at large.

      I'd love to learn if you find out more--I'd especially like to find
      some references to the Sengoku writings on ninja that I hear so many
      people in the English-speaking world talk about, but have not seen.

      Living history Used car history Vehicle history

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3 3:51 PM

        > http://edisto.cofc.edu/~nmtaylor/history.html
        >
        > http://www.whitetigerninja.com/Ninjahistory.html
        >
        > http://www.ninjabilly.com/html/ninja_history.html

        After a quick look over, I would not suggest giving much credance to
        these sites.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5 7:17 AM

          > Being a student of the Bujinkan traditions I feel that I may be of
          > some use. Our lineages have been traced and are verified as
          > legitimate. The "Bugei Ryuha Daijiten", (which is the record of all
          > Japanese legitmate schools) lists all the schools, and Dr. Hatsumi as
          > Grandmaster. As well, he is still the only recognized living ninja by
          > the Government of Japan. Here is a link to my Sensei's website.
          > There is quite a bit of info if you are interested.
          >
          > http://www.bujinkan.hr/index-en.php

          To quote a college friend of mine, "bull piddle". Louis Frederic in
          "Japan Encyclopedia" claims that the Tenchuu gumi (not Tenchi gumi as
          claimed in the web site) was a group of direct vassals to the emperor
          who revolted against the shougun in 1863. The members of the tenchuu
          gumi were generally: bushi, peasants, and at least one member of the
          kuge (nobility). The peasants were led by a village chief from the Tosa
          estate. Note. There is no mention of a "tenchigumi" in either Daijirin
          or Nihonshi Kenkyuu.

          I am sure that you are having an enjoyable experience in your doujo and
          respect your sensei very much, but you have been experiencing a
          particular kind of Japanese hype common in the martial arts community.
          The web page which you give does nothing at all to seriously
          substantiate claims for ninjutsu.

          Incidentally, ninja is the generally preferred Japanese word not
          shinobi no mono. Further, the base meaning of "shinobi" is "endure"
          with the circular definition "ninja" appearing as the third definition.
          I rather think that "endure" is the real root of the word and refers to
          special fortitude by spec ops units which would silently ford motes,
          scale walls, &c. Even popular depictions of ninja portray the general
          silence of the ninja. Why would "ninja" be preferred to "shinobi no
          mono" for pretty much the same reason that Greek, Italian, and French
          nouns are preferred to Anglo-Saxon nouns in English. Ninja simply
          sounds more educated, because it uses on'yomi readings. The Japanese
          are especially fond of "night attacks", so moving silently and wearing
          hard to see clothing could make you pretty stealthy.

          As for this "samurai code" preventing engagement in special ops, hooey!
          The Japanese love special ops. There are times when you make a big deal
          about battle and even single combat, and times when you don't. As for
          night attacks in general, you should read about the start of the Genpei
          War, the famous night attack involving the Soga brothers, &c.

          As for fanciful claims of antiquity, you encounter that sort of thing
          all the time when dealing with things Japanese. Everyone has to learn
          to sift through these claims.

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5 7:30 AM
            Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

            > Incidentally, ninja is the generally preferred Japanese word not
            > shinobi no mono.

            It is *today* but wasn't historically. And if we are talking in terms of
            historical context...

            Today, they're typically called "bikes" -- there was a time they were
            called velocipedes, and in the historical context, that term is acceptable.

            > Further, the base meaning of "shinobi" is "endure" with the circular
            > definition "ninja" appearing as the third definition.

            Irrelevent. The term "shinobi no mono" is a locked phrase with one
            recognized definition. Anyone who wants to translate that as "someone
            who is enduring" is the one being odd, not the one using it for its
            recognized meaning of "ninja."

            > I rather think
            > that "endure" is the real root of the word and refers to special
            > fortitude by spec ops units which would silently ford motes, scale
            > walls, &c.

            It also has the context of "stealth".

            > As for this "samurai code" preventing engagement in special ops,
            > hooey! The Japanese love special ops.

            Oh, yeah. ;)

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5 9:04 AM
              Baron Edward!

              Greetings from Solveig! I think that you are being intentionally dense.
              Ninja is the preferred word today. I made no great claims about
              historical usage. If I had, I would have cited a kogojiten. As for
              etymology, that is generally problematic. I am reminded of my Classical
              Japanese professor going on about the verb saburau and how that leads
              to samurai. The question is why are they called "ninja" or "shinobi no
              mono" (big deal - that's just the kun'yomi reading and doesn't even
              change the order of the kanji involved)?

              > Irrelevent. The term "shinobi no mono" is a locked phrase with one
              > recognized definition. Anyone who wants to translate that as "someone
              > who is enduring" is the one being odd, not the one using it for its
              > recognized meaning of "ninja."

              It's a locked phrase which at this point is almost hopelessly muddled
              by popular culture. The question is where does the locked phrase come
              from? If we just go by the understood meaning, then it refers to those
              guys in the black pyjamas that you see in ramen operas on television.
              In short, nothing more than a modern flight of fancy. As for
              "stealthy", the question is why does "shinobu" relate to "stealth"? I
              think that I addressed it, you didn't. Yes, there are oodles of
              homonyms in Japanese, but they usually don't share kanji! The root of
              the kanji in question is "heart" with the rest added for sound. The
              root meaning is "especially strong fortitude".

              While Kogorin attempts to trace "shinobu" with the sense of being
              undetectable to Genji Monogatari, the quote does not actually include
              the word or any variant. However, it does relate the special notion of
              not being detected. The art of "invisibility" is the one central aspect
              of ninjutsu that is generally encountered. Not the costume, not the
              weapon forms, &c. As you yourself once wrote, "At Pennsic, a ninja
              would wear norman or tudor."

              The earliest appearance of "shinobi no mono" appears to be in the
              Taiheiki 20 where we encounter:

              "Ichimotsu no shinobi no mono wo Hachimanzan ni irete"

              This business about the ninja being a T'ang import based on the
              teachings of Sun Tsu seems to me to be entirely specious.

            • Nevin Broz
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5 1:14 PM
                Believe what you will. History cannot be changed. Names can, as our lineages have been renamed many times over the centuries but history cannot. The titles Shidoshi, Shidoshi-ho (meaning senior and junior instructors respectfully) didn't exist historically. Hatsumi Sensei created these words, yet every day modern claim to some ninja school and a few samurai lineages use them as ancient terminology. ex: Frank Dux from Bloodsport fame. Search for the truth and do what makes you happy!

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5 4:17 PM
                  Noble Cousin!

                  Greetings from Solveig! Faking lineages was and is very common in
                  Japan. Your school's lineage may be authentic, however the chances are
                  very good that it is not. Claiming a lineage going back to the T'ang is
                  automatically suspicious. There are some things in Japan which are
                  traceable to the T'ang, but they are generally preserved in the court.
                  Look, there is even a controversy about the imperial lineage which only
                  goes back about six hundred years or so. The T'ang were long gone a
                  LONG time before that. History means "investigations". This means
                  trying to find things out. The web page which was quoted here earlier
                  was far from authoritative and even spelled the name of a particular
                  uprising in Japan incorrectly in a way which does make a difference.

                  Here is an example from something that I am involved with. There is a
                  controversy over the origin of the Sen family. The Sen have held a pair
                  of adjoining estates in Kyouto since the early seventeenth century and
                  are linked by marriage to the imperial family. The dispute is whether
                  or not they are Koreans or some such thing.