Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Mempo Question...

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2 1:01 PM
      It is a fair question, Wodeford.

      And you are correct in your assumption. I have neither
      the skills to work with metal, nor the time or money
      it would take to aquire such things. The only metal
      working I seem to be good at is Chainmail.. and I once
      helped a friend make Kusari. He needed the help to get
      an item done before an event, so he asked me to help
      him out.

      However, I DO know how to work with leather and I have
      several thicknesses of the stuff laying around.
      When working with wax hardening, you tend to keep a
      lot of that stuff handy.
      When I actually become a famous *yeah right* author,
      I'll try and attempt metal working. But until then,
      I'll stick with leather. :D

      Namaste,
      Qara Unegen - Who will one day make an alter ego
      Japanese Persona.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2 8:42 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
        which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a few
        other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

      • michael A
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4 5:43 AM
          greetings again,
          things being as described below, you can either seek
          out an armorer locally, most will open their shop up
          to those that wish to learn, or if you need to "
          cheat" for the time being.... please feel free to
          contact me if you ever out to chicago. Id be happy to
          work with you so you can learn to pound steel while
          making a menpo.
          ---kiyohara

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • madnative81
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5 10:57 PM
            Being into weaving, I've learned a few interesting tidbits about
            various fibers that are native to Japan. Hemp itself, and as it
            relates to Japanese culture, is quite unique.
            Firstly, as Solveig-dono pointed out, it takes on dyes poorly. Even
            with strong, modern chemical dyes, one tends to only get hemp to take
            on fairly earthen hues, or at the most, very deep purples or blues
            from working the bejeezers out of it. :o)
            If memory serves me right, the Japanese learned this fairly early on,
            I think in the Heian era. From there, a couple of Shinto religous
            nutters contemplated why this was (I'm guessing to cover up their
            addiction), and started claiming it was a "pure" gift from Ameratsu
            or some of the other higher-ups in the Shinto mythology pantheon, and
            thus would not allow itself to be tainted/altered.
            So even after dying methods improved in period, it was, and still is,
            often left in its natural color for religous ceremonies and purposes.
            Not to draw conjectures, but the kamishimo we're looking at may be
            designed to that end.

            My two sen worth,
            Nagamochi

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir
            <nostrand@a...> wrote:
            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
            > which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a
            few
            > other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

            > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
            ---+
            > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS,
            Fleur |
            > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
            Est |
            > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:Solveig@d... |
            > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
            ---+
            > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
            to |
            > | the trash by my email
            filters. |
          • Donald Luby
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8 2:23 PM
              On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

              > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
              > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
              > lightweight plastic instead?
              >
              > Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
              > I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
              > spray painting it black.
              >
              > Would that work behind a full face grill?
              >
              > Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

              I would think it would be legal, with the following conditions:

              1. it be completely covered by your (otherwise completely legal) face
              grill and neck armor;
              2. it be made of shatterproof plastic (the same requirements as
              glasses, for the same reasons - we don't want sharp shards of plastic
              inside your helmet during combat);
              3. it be snugly strapped down so as to not slide out of place (esp. if
              it were to block your vision or air if it were to do so);
              4. it not interfere with the attachment mechanism(s) of your helmet
              (i.e. it doesn't cause your chinstrap to side and thus the helmet
              rotate, or reduce the effectiveness of the protective qualities of the
              helmet, &c).

              On top of all this, I'd recommend that any place where the was direct
              contact between the menpo and the helmet (incl helmet padding), which
              I'd try to avoid, that the menpo be padded so as to not be driven into
              your head by an impact on the helmet.

              > Namaste,
              > Qara Unegen

              Sir Koredono
              AEthelmearc Earl Marshal
            • Diane Taylor
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                Okay, I know there are a lot of you guys out there who
                are more knowledgeable *pardon the misspellings, new
                keyboard* in these topics than myself so bear with my
                inept questions. :D

                Nuns, did they go beyond their monestary walls to beg
                for alms food?

                Is there any record of the life of a Zen Nun in the
                allowed SCA timeline.

                I'm thinking of creating a Zen persona as backup plan
                in case my asthma kicks in again and I can't fight.

                Of course, if any moneytary stuff was involved, I'd be
                donating it to the Great Western War, which will be my
                big event for the year.

                Any ideas, hints, or just plain giggles and grins at
                my thought?

                Thanks in advance for any finger pointing in the right
                direction.
                Qara Unegen

                http://mail.yahoo.com