Re: Mempo Question...

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, michael A <kiyokage@y...> wrote:
      > A fair question possed... i hope you'll see this as a
      > fair and genuine answer,
      >
      > Why "cheat" at all?

      I was proceeding on the assumption (which may have been erroneous)
      that a cheat was necessary due to lack of metalworking skills and/or
      tools and suggested leather as being a little easier to deal with.
      That's all.

      Makiwara
    • Diane Taylor
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
        It is a fair question, Wodeford.

        And you are correct in your assumption. I have neither
        the skills to work with metal, nor the time or money
        it would take to aquire such things. The only metal
        working I seem to be good at is Chainmail.. and I once
        helped a friend make Kusari. He needed the help to get
        an item done before an event, so he asked me to help
        him out.

        However, I DO know how to work with leather and I have
        several thicknesses of the stuff laying around.
        When working with wax hardening, you tend to keep a
        lot of that stuff handy.
        When I actually become a famous *yeah right* author,
        I'll try and attempt metal working. But until then,
        I'll stick with leather. :D

        Namaste,
        Qara Unegen - Who will one day make an alter ego
        Japanese Persona.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005

          Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
          which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a few
          other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

        • michael A
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
            greetings again,
            things being as described below, you can either seek
            out an armorer locally, most will open their shop up
            to those that wish to learn, or if you need to "
            cheat" for the time being.... please feel free to
            contact me if you ever out to chicago. Id be happy to
            work with you so you can learn to pound steel while
            making a menpo.
            ---kiyohara

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • madnative81
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
              Being into weaving, I've learned a few interesting tidbits about
              various fibers that are native to Japan. Hemp itself, and as it
              relates to Japanese culture, is quite unique.
              Firstly, as Solveig-dono pointed out, it takes on dyes poorly. Even
              with strong, modern chemical dyes, one tends to only get hemp to take
              on fairly earthen hues, or at the most, very deep purples or blues
              from working the bejeezers out of it. :o)
              If memory serves me right, the Japanese learned this fairly early on,
              I think in the Heian era. From there, a couple of Shinto religous
              nutters contemplated why this was (I'm guessing to cover up their
              addiction), and started claiming it was a "pure" gift from Ameratsu
              or some of the other higher-ups in the Shinto mythology pantheon, and
              thus would not allow itself to be tainted/altered.
              So even after dying methods improved in period, it was, and still is,
              often left in its natural color for religous ceremonies and purposes.
              Not to draw conjectures, but the kamishimo we're looking at may be
              designed to that end.

              My two sen worth,
              Nagamochi

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir
              <nostrand@a...> wrote:
              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
              > which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a
              few
              > other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

              > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
              ---+
              > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS,
              Fleur |
              > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
              Est |
              > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:Solveig@d... |
              > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
              ---+
              > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
              to |
              > | the trash by my email
              filters. |
            • Donald Luby
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

                > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
                > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
                > lightweight plastic instead?
                >
                > Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
                > I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
                > spray painting it black.
                >
                > Would that work behind a full face grill?
                >
                > Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

                I would think it would be legal, with the following conditions:

                1. it be completely covered by your (otherwise completely legal) face
                grill and neck armor;
                2. it be made of shatterproof plastic (the same requirements as
                glasses, for the same reasons - we don't want sharp shards of plastic
                inside your helmet during combat);
                3. it be snugly strapped down so as to not slide out of place (esp. if
                it were to block your vision or air if it were to do so);
                4. it not interfere with the attachment mechanism(s) of your helmet
                (i.e. it doesn't cause your chinstrap to side and thus the helmet
                rotate, or reduce the effectiveness of the protective qualities of the
                helmet, &c).

                On top of all this, I'd recommend that any place where the was direct
                contact between the menpo and the helmet (incl helmet padding), which
                I'd try to avoid, that the menpo be padded so as to not be driven into
                your head by an impact on the helmet.

                > Namaste,
                > Qara Unegen

                Sir Koredono
                AEthelmearc Earl Marshal
              • Diane Taylor
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Okay, I know there are a lot of you guys out there who
                  are more knowledgeable *pardon the misspellings, new
                  keyboard* in these topics than myself so bear with my
                  inept questions. :D

                  Nuns, did they go beyond their monestary walls to beg
                  for alms food?

                  Is there any record of the life of a Zen Nun in the
                  allowed SCA timeline.

                  I'm thinking of creating a Zen persona as backup plan
                  in case my asthma kicks in again and I can't fight.

                  Of course, if any moneytary stuff was involved, I'd be
                  donating it to the Great Western War, which will be my
                  big event for the year.

                  Any ideas, hints, or just plain giggles and grins at
                  my thought?

                  Thanks in advance for any finger pointing in the right
                  direction.
                  Qara Unegen

                  http://mail.yahoo.com