Kamishimo for sale

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! You may want to check out a hemp kamishimo for
      sale on eBay:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Japanese-samurai-Kamishimo-
      Kimono_W0QQitemZ7703683440QQcategoryZ29452QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
      iewItem
    • Diane Taylor
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        I do have the Menpo pattern from the Sengokudaimyo
        Website. And I do have some scraps of leather hanging
        around here somewhere. Hrmmmmmm....

        For me, money and time constraints are preventing me
        from getting the proper stuff to make the armor I want
        to. Right now, I'm wearing Scale Lamellar hardened
        with wax. I hung scale plates off the kidney belt so
        it sort of looks like a Quasi-Japanese set of armor,
        heheh But that's as far as I've gotten.
        I have a dream of blowing my friends away one year
        when I step out onto the battlefield in full Japanese
        armor. But that's a bit farther down the road.

        Namaste,
        Qara
        Thanks guys, for all the info! Mucho Much!!

        --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        >> If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with
        > something a lot easier to
        > cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather
        > can be molded on a
        > form and will dry in the shape you want - mask
        > makers have been doing
        > it for centuries.
        >
        > Two sen worth from behind the kicho,
        >
        > Makiwara

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! You may want to check out a hemp kamishimo for
          > sale on eBay:

          This link may be more accessible:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7703683440

          Very nice.
          Why the 'raw' color? Because that's the way they wanted it? Because it
          would be dyed later?

          Otagiri
        • Jason Silver
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            Greetings!

            Some time ago (yea long time ago before I knew better LOL) I made a
            mempo that I had planned to use in a similar fashion, in some
            respects I still do, it will be a very LARGE chin strap ;).. I will
            see if I can take some pictures of the original design and post them
            here for you to see.. The Mempo is no where near acurate for history,
            again I say it was before I found this group, but it sure gives me
            idea's and it taught me a good lesson.. When designing your mempo use
            a small bit of padding between you and it, you will be much happier
            in the end. Also ensure you have some drainage holes.. I dont know
            about you but When I first started fighting I didnt have any holes
            and that was just nasty! Once made use some of the padding you used
            to help space it but leave channels and such in the foam to allow for
            air spacing, it will be a 100 times more comfortable..

            Hopefully that was some help :)

            Imakawa

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@y...> wrote:
            > I do have the Menpo pattern from the Sengokudaimyo
            > Website. And I do have some scraps of leather hanging
            > around here somewhere. Hrmmmmmm....
            >
            > For me, money and time constraints are preventing me
            > from getting the proper stuff to make the armor I want
            > to. Right now, I'm wearing Scale Lamellar hardened
            > with wax. I hung scale plates off the kidney belt so
            > it sort of looks like a Quasi-Japanese set of armor,
            > heheh But that's as far as I've gotten.
            > I have a dream of blowing my friends away one year
            > when I step out onto the battlefield in full Japanese
            > armor. But that's a bit farther down the road.
            >
            > Namaste,
            > Qara
            > Thanks guys, for all the info! Mucho Much!!
            >
            > --- wodeford <wodeford@y...> wrote:
            >
            > >> If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with
            > > something a lot easier to
            > > cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather
            > > can be molded on a
            > > form and will dry in the shape you want - mask
            > > makers have been doing
            > > it for centuries.
            > >
            > > Two sen worth from behind the kicho,
            > >
            > > Makiwara

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • michael A
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              A fair question possed... i hope you'll see this as a
              fair and genuine answer,

              Why "cheat" at all?

              1.you could make a thinner steel menpo with a grill
              over it for safety. In fact it would be closer to a
              historical thickness than one made to be structual to
              an sca helm.

              2. Steel adds to the realism of the kit instead of
              detracting from it. Sure we have to make tradeoffs to
              use a japanese kit in the sca, but can't we do
              everything in our power to minmize those compromises?
              why add them unnecessarily.

              3. what is being recreated here, We aren't making a
              mask for a ball. Thus a molded leather mask doesn't
              add to the recreation of armor. A steel menpo does.

              4.As for the ease of construction, working a thinner
              ga steel into a menpo would not be that hard. Again
              creating complex shaped sca safe thickness spring
              steel is hard. Putting together a simply shaped
              thinner mild steel menpo is not.

              5. And fianlly an most importantly :)
              ......It will look ohhhhhh so much better in steel. :)

              If anyone wants/ needs to discuss how to execute it in
              steel feel free to email me privately.

              --kiyohara

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, michael A <kiyokage@y...> wrote:
                > A fair question possed... i hope you'll see this as a
                > fair and genuine answer,
                >
                > Why "cheat" at all?

                I was proceeding on the assumption (which may have been erroneous)
                that a cheat was necessary due to lack of metalworking skills and/or
                tools and suggested leather as being a little easier to deal with.
                That's all.

                Makiwara
              • Diane Taylor
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                  It is a fair question, Wodeford.

                  And you are correct in your assumption. I have neither
                  the skills to work with metal, nor the time or money
                  it would take to aquire such things. The only metal
                  working I seem to be good at is Chainmail.. and I once
                  helped a friend make Kusari. He needed the help to get
                  an item done before an event, so he asked me to help
                  him out.

                  However, I DO know how to work with leather and I have
                  several thicknesses of the stuff laying around.
                  When working with wax hardening, you tend to keep a
                  lot of that stuff handy.
                  When I actually become a famous *yeah right* author,
                  I'll try and attempt metal working. But until then,
                  I'll stick with leather. :D

                  Namaste,
                  Qara Unegen - Who will one day make an alter ego
                  Japanese Persona.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Noble Cousin!

                    Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
                    which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a few
                    other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

                  • michael A
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                      greetings again,
                      things being as described below, you can either seek
                      out an armorer locally, most will open their shop up
                      to those that wish to learn, or if you need to "
                      cheat" for the time being.... please feel free to
                      contact me if you ever out to chicago. Id be happy to
                      work with you so you can learn to pound steel while
                      making a menpo.
                      ---kiyohara

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • madnative81
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                        Being into weaving, I've learned a few interesting tidbits about
                        various fibers that are native to Japan. Hemp itself, and as it
                        relates to Japanese culture, is quite unique.
                        Firstly, as Solveig-dono pointed out, it takes on dyes poorly. Even
                        with strong, modern chemical dyes, one tends to only get hemp to take
                        on fairly earthen hues, or at the most, very deep purples or blues
                        from working the bejeezers out of it. :o)
                        If memory serves me right, the Japanese learned this fairly early on,
                        I think in the Heian era. From there, a couple of Shinto religous
                        nutters contemplated why this was (I'm guessing to cover up their
                        addiction), and started claiming it was a "pure" gift from Ameratsu
                        or some of the other higher-ups in the Shinto mythology pantheon, and
                        thus would not allow itself to be tainted/altered.
                        So even after dying methods improved in period, it was, and still is,
                        often left in its natural color for religous ceremonies and purposes.
                        Not to draw conjectures, but the kamishimo we're looking at may be
                        designed to that end.

                        My two sen worth,
                        Nagamochi

                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir
                        <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                        > Noble Cousin!
                        >
                        > Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
                        > which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a
                        few
                        > other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

                        > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                        ---+
                        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS,
                        Fleur |
                        > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
                        Est |
                        > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:Solveig@d... |
                        > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                        ---+
                        > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
                        to |
                        > | the trash by my email
                        filters. |
                      • Donald Luby
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                          On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

                          > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
                          > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
                          > lightweight plastic instead?
                          >
                          > Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
                          > I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
                          > spray painting it black.
                          >
                          > Would that work behind a full face grill?
                          >
                          > Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

                          I would think it would be legal, with the following conditions:

                          1. it be completely covered by your (otherwise completely legal) face
                          grill and neck armor;
                          2. it be made of shatterproof plastic (the same requirements as
                          glasses, for the same reasons - we don't want sharp shards of plastic
                          inside your helmet during combat);
                          3. it be snugly strapped down so as to not slide out of place (esp. if
                          it were to block your vision or air if it were to do so);
                          4. it not interfere with the attachment mechanism(s) of your helmet
                          (i.e. it doesn't cause your chinstrap to side and thus the helmet
                          rotate, or reduce the effectiveness of the protective qualities of the
                          helmet, &c).

                          On top of all this, I'd recommend that any place where the was direct
                          contact between the menpo and the helmet (incl helmet padding), which
                          I'd try to avoid, that the menpo be padded so as to not be driven into
                          your head by an impact on the helmet.

                          > Namaste,
                          > Qara Unegen

                          Sir Koredono
                          AEthelmearc Earl Marshal
                        • Diane Taylor
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                            Okay, I know there are a lot of you guys out there who
                            are more knowledgeable *pardon the misspellings, new
                            keyboard* in these topics than myself so bear with my
                            inept questions. :D

                            Nuns, did they go beyond their monestary walls to beg
                            for alms food?

                            Is there any record of the life of a Zen Nun in the
                            allowed SCA timeline.

                            I'm thinking of creating a Zen persona as backup plan
                            in case my asthma kicks in again and I can't fight.

                            Of course, if any moneytary stuff was involved, I'd be
                            donating it to the Great Western War, which will be my
                            big event for the year.

                            Any ideas, hints, or just plain giggles and grins at
                            my thought?

                            Thanks in advance for any finger pointing in the right
                            direction.
                            Qara Unegen

                            http://mail.yahoo.com