Mempo Question...

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
      conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
      lightweight plastic instead?

      Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
      I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
      spray painting it black.

      Would that work behind a full face grill?

      Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

      Namaste,
      Qara Unegen
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        In a message dated 8/1/2005 5:23:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        qara0@... writes:

        If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
        conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
        lightweight plastic instead?

        Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
        I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
        spray painting it black.

        Would that work behind a full face grill?

        Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

        Namaste,
        Qara Unegen

        Yes, that can be done* since the grill of the helm would be providing
        protection, the mempo would be "fluff"

        * it would pass your kingdoms marshal's concerns about not being a source of
        injury (i.e. shifting and poking you in the eye, interfereing with the
        chinstrap-padding, etc.)

        -Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa

      • michael A
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          while you could do that, why not just make the menpo
          in a thin ga steel if it is not structural? No need to
          use plastic unneccesarily.
          --kiyohara

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@a... wrote:
            > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
            > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
            > lightweight plastic instead?

            If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with something a lot easier to
            cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather can be molded on a
            form and will dry in the shape you want - mask makers have been doing
            it for centuries.

            Two sen worth from behind the kicho,

            Makiwara
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005

              Greetings from Solveig! You may want to check out a hemp kamishimo for
              sale on eBay:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Japanese-samurai-Kamishimo-
              Kimono_W0QQitemZ7703683440QQcategoryZ29452QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
              iewItem
            • Diane Taylor
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                I do have the Menpo pattern from the Sengokudaimyo
                Website. And I do have some scraps of leather hanging
                around here somewhere. Hrmmmmmm....

                For me, money and time constraints are preventing me
                from getting the proper stuff to make the armor I want
                to. Right now, I'm wearing Scale Lamellar hardened
                with wax. I hung scale plates off the kidney belt so
                it sort of looks like a Quasi-Japanese set of armor,
                heheh But that's as far as I've gotten.
                I have a dream of blowing my friends away one year
                when I step out onto the battlefield in full Japanese
                armor. But that's a bit farther down the road.

                Namaste,
                Qara
                Thanks guys, for all the info! Mucho Much!!

                --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

                >> If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with
                > something a lot easier to
                > cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather
                > can be molded on a
                > form and will dry in the shape you want - mask
                > makers have been doing
                > it for centuries.
                >
                > Two sen worth from behind the kicho,
                >
                > Makiwara

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  > Noble Cousins!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig! You may want to check out a hemp kamishimo for
                  > sale on eBay:

                  This link may be more accessible:
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7703683440

                  Very nice.
                  Why the 'raw' color? Because that's the way they wanted it? Because it
                  would be dyed later?

                  Otagiri
                • Jason Silver
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Greetings!

                    Some time ago (yea long time ago before I knew better LOL) I made a
                    mempo that I had planned to use in a similar fashion, in some
                    respects I still do, it will be a very LARGE chin strap ;).. I will
                    see if I can take some pictures of the original design and post them
                    here for you to see.. The Mempo is no where near acurate for history,
                    again I say it was before I found this group, but it sure gives me
                    idea's and it taught me a good lesson.. When designing your mempo use
                    a small bit of padding between you and it, you will be much happier
                    in the end. Also ensure you have some drainage holes.. I dont know
                    about you but When I first started fighting I didnt have any holes
                    and that was just nasty! Once made use some of the padding you used
                    to help space it but leave channels and such in the foam to allow for
                    air spacing, it will be a 100 times more comfortable..

                    Hopefully that was some help :)

                    Imakawa

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@y...> wrote:
                    > I do have the Menpo pattern from the Sengokudaimyo
                    > Website. And I do have some scraps of leather hanging
                    > around here somewhere. Hrmmmmmm....
                    >
                    > For me, money and time constraints are preventing me
                    > from getting the proper stuff to make the armor I want
                    > to. Right now, I'm wearing Scale Lamellar hardened
                    > with wax. I hung scale plates off the kidney belt so
                    > it sort of looks like a Quasi-Japanese set of armor,
                    > heheh But that's as far as I've gotten.
                    > I have a dream of blowing my friends away one year
                    > when I step out onto the battlefield in full Japanese
                    > armor. But that's a bit farther down the road.
                    >
                    > Namaste,
                    > Qara
                    > Thanks guys, for all the info! Mucho Much!!
                    >
                    > --- wodeford <wodeford@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > >> If you're going to cheat, why not cheat with
                    > > something a lot easier to
                    > > cut, form to the right shape, and dye? Wet leather
                    > > can be molded on a
                    > > form and will dry in the shape you want - mask
                    > > makers have been doing
                    > > it for centuries.
                    > >
                    > > Two sen worth from behind the kicho,
                    > >
                    > > Makiwara

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • michael A
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      A fair question possed... i hope you'll see this as a
                      fair and genuine answer,

                      Why "cheat" at all?

                      1.you could make a thinner steel menpo with a grill
                      over it for safety. In fact it would be closer to a
                      historical thickness than one made to be structual to
                      an sca helm.

                      2. Steel adds to the realism of the kit instead of
                      detracting from it. Sure we have to make tradeoffs to
                      use a japanese kit in the sca, but can't we do
                      everything in our power to minmize those compromises?
                      why add them unnecessarily.

                      3. what is being recreated here, We aren't making a
                      mask for a ball. Thus a molded leather mask doesn't
                      add to the recreation of armor. A steel menpo does.

                      4.As for the ease of construction, working a thinner
                      ga steel into a menpo would not be that hard. Again
                      creating complex shaped sca safe thickness spring
                      steel is hard. Putting together a simply shaped
                      thinner mild steel menpo is not.

                      5. And fianlly an most importantly :)
                      ......It will look ohhhhhh so much better in steel. :)

                      If anyone wants/ needs to discuss how to execute it in
                      steel feel free to email me privately.

                      --kiyohara

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, michael A <kiyokage@y...> wrote:
                        > A fair question possed... i hope you'll see this as a
                        > fair and genuine answer,
                        >
                        > Why "cheat" at all?

                        I was proceeding on the assumption (which may have been erroneous)
                        that a cheat was necessary due to lack of metalworking skills and/or
                        tools and suggested leather as being a little easier to deal with.
                        That's all.

                        Makiwara
                      • Diane Taylor
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                          It is a fair question, Wodeford.

                          And you are correct in your assumption. I have neither
                          the skills to work with metal, nor the time or money
                          it would take to aquire such things. The only metal
                          working I seem to be good at is Chainmail.. and I once
                          helped a friend make Kusari. He needed the help to get
                          an item done before an event, so he asked me to help
                          him out.

                          However, I DO know how to work with leather and I have
                          several thicknesses of the stuff laying around.
                          When working with wax hardening, you tend to keep a
                          lot of that stuff handy.
                          When I actually become a famous *yeah right* author,
                          I'll try and attempt metal working. But until then,
                          I'll stick with leather. :D

                          Namaste,
                          Qara Unegen - Who will one day make an alter ego
                          Japanese Persona.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005

                            Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
                            which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a few
                            other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

                          • michael A
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
                              greetings again,
                              things being as described below, you can either seek
                              out an armorer locally, most will open their shop up
                              to those that wish to learn, or if you need to "
                              cheat" for the time being.... please feel free to
                              contact me if you ever out to chicago. Id be happy to
                              work with you so you can learn to pound steel while
                              making a menpo.
                              ---kiyohara

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • madnative81
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
                                Being into weaving, I've learned a few interesting tidbits about
                                various fibers that are native to Japan. Hemp itself, and as it
                                relates to Japanese culture, is quite unique.
                                Firstly, as Solveig-dono pointed out, it takes on dyes poorly. Even
                                with strong, modern chemical dyes, one tends to only get hemp to take
                                on fairly earthen hues, or at the most, very deep purples or blues
                                from working the bejeezers out of it. :o)
                                If memory serves me right, the Japanese learned this fairly early on,
                                I think in the Heian era. From there, a couple of Shinto religous
                                nutters contemplated why this was (I'm guessing to cover up their
                                addiction), and started claiming it was a "pure" gift from Ameratsu
                                or some of the other higher-ups in the Shinto mythology pantheon, and
                                thus would not allow itself to be tainted/altered.
                                So even after dying methods improved in period, it was, and still is,
                                often left in its natural color for religous ceremonies and purposes.
                                Not to draw conjectures, but the kamishimo we're looking at may be
                                designed to that end.

                                My two sen worth,
                                Nagamochi

                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir
                                <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                                > Noble Cousin!
                                >
                                > Greetings from Solveig! This particular kamishimo is made from hemp
                                > which I suspect does not take colour particularly well. There are a
                                few
                                > other less nice possibilities related to seppuku.

                                > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ---+
                                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS,
                                Fleur |
                                > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
                                Est |
                                > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:Solveig@d... |
                                > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ---+
                                > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
                                to |
                                > | the trash by my email
                                filters. |
                              • Donald Luby
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2005
                                  On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Diane Taylor wrote:

                                  > If one is fighting with a Mempo behind a face grill, can one
                                  > conceivably cheat (choke gasp.. CHEATING?? MOI??) and use a
                                  > lightweight plastic instead?
                                  >
                                  > Oh, not too obviously by using some really strange colored plastic,
                                  > I'm talking about maybe using the blue plastic, sanding it down and
                                  > spray painting it black.
                                  >
                                  > Would that work behind a full face grill?
                                  >
                                  > Please, any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

                                  I would think it would be legal, with the following conditions:

                                  1. it be completely covered by your (otherwise completely legal) face
                                  grill and neck armor;
                                  2. it be made of shatterproof plastic (the same requirements as
                                  glasses, for the same reasons - we don't want sharp shards of plastic
                                  inside your helmet during combat);
                                  3. it be snugly strapped down so as to not slide out of place (esp. if
                                  it were to block your vision or air if it were to do so);
                                  4. it not interfere with the attachment mechanism(s) of your helmet
                                  (i.e. it doesn't cause your chinstrap to side and thus the helmet
                                  rotate, or reduce the effectiveness of the protective qualities of the
                                  helmet, &c).

                                  On top of all this, I'd recommend that any place where the was direct
                                  contact between the menpo and the helmet (incl helmet padding), which
                                  I'd try to avoid, that the menpo be padded so as to not be driven into
                                  your head by an impact on the helmet.

                                  > Namaste,
                                  > Qara Unegen

                                  Sir Koredono
                                  AEthelmearc Earl Marshal
                                • Diane Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 3, 2006
                                    Okay, I know there are a lot of you guys out there who
                                    are more knowledgeable *pardon the misspellings, new
                                    keyboard* in these topics than myself so bear with my
                                    inept questions. :D

                                    Nuns, did they go beyond their monestary walls to beg
                                    for alms food?

                                    Is there any record of the life of a Zen Nun in the
                                    allowed SCA timeline.

                                    I'm thinking of creating a Zen persona as backup plan
                                    in case my asthma kicks in again and I can't fight.

                                    Of course, if any moneytary stuff was involved, I'd be
                                    donating it to the Great Western War, which will be my
                                    big event for the year.

                                    Any ideas, hints, or just plain giggles and grins at
                                    my thought?

                                    Thanks in advance for any finger pointing in the right
                                    direction.
                                    Qara Unegen

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com