Re: [SCA-JML] HELP

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005

      > Since I'm new to the whole SCA world, I guess I'm a bit confused by
      > how this works. Where I live in
      > Ontario, I'm about an hours drive from the nearest Cantons - who are
      > all European.

      About fifteen years ago, the College of Heralds banned Japanese
      territorial groups, so there can not be any Japanese Cantons. However,
      that does not affect whether or not you can be Japanese.

      > The question is I guess, can I have a membership withing SCA, but be
      > allied to a Japanese house - even in another area?

      You can do that. Households are unofficial groups and anyone can freely
      associate with any of them as long as the household is also willing.

      > Or, do I have to get permission to start my own here?

      No. You do not generally need permission.

      > Or, do I belong to the local Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?

      Most territorial groups accommodate a wide variety of cultures. You
      should probably take this approach. When you know more people, then you
      can consider either joining a household or starting your own.

    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2005
        > Or, do I belong to the local
        > Canton, but just have a Japanese persona?

        Yup.

        There are a few Japanese personas here in Montreal, but the closest house I
        know of is in Quebec city. You'll belong to the group that covers the
        territory where you live, although you can play with whomever you wish. You
        don't even have to be a member to play. There's a group here in Montreal,
        but some people who live on the South Shore and would normally belong to a
        neighbouring shire play almost exclusively with us (and vice-versa).

        I know in some areas people interested in playing Japanese personas were put
        down, but we don't seem to have that problem around here.

        So choose the persona you like, even if there's no one else playing
        Japanese. You might even make a few converts :-)