Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Help

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 29, 2005

      Greetings from Solveig! You should understand that the cotton gin
      radically changed the cost of cotton. Cotton is now cheap and you will
      find it used everywhere. Before Eli Whitney, cotton was comparatively
      expensive. You are not all that likely to find cotton being used as a
      wool substitute prior to then. As you are using the cotton for
      stuffing, I should tell you that modern kendo kote use deer hair for
      stuffing. This likely replicates a pre-modern practice. Please do not
      try to engage in retro-documenation. It is a bad practice. You should
      be out there trying to find out how temari were made not to trying to
      prove that something which you already made was correct. One of the
      ways that I know that I am succeeded in my efforts is when I discover
      that I was wrong. It's nice to discover that you were right, but you
      learn things when you discover that you were wrong.

      Back to using rags. It's unlikely that someone using rags would be all
      that particular about the sort of rags that they were using unless
      there was some sort of religious or similar significance to the
      stuffing. While Shintoh is a purity cult, I do not recall any version
      of chatnetz in it.