A question of terms

  • Brendan Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
      I remember reading a term the Japanese used for "East meets West," or
      something along those lines. Could anyone please tell me what that term is,
      because I can't remember the book for the life of me.

      Thanks
      Nagayori
    • T. Carpenter
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
        Brendan Smith wrote:
        > I remember reading a term the Japanese used for "East meets West," or
        > something along those lines. Could anyone please tell me what that term is,
        > because I can't remember the book for the life of me.

        I don't know of any term that's specifically 'East meets West' - unless
        it's the title of a specific painting or something. The social movement
        of Japanese-European cooperation, integration and education, however,
        was called 'kokusaika', if that helps?

        -Mishima no Akikata, of the Hand of the Hunt
        aka
        -Tyler Carpenter, Rogue Academic
        "Cloud-free mountains/Encircle the sea, which holds/The reflected
        moon:/A view of it there changes/the islands/Into holes of emptiness in
        a sea of ice" - Saigyo
      • T. Carpenter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
          T. Carpenter wrote:

          > I don't know of any term that's specifically 'East meets West' - unless
          > it's the title of a specific painting or something. The social movement
          > of Japanese-European cooperation, integration and education, however,
          > was called 'kokusaika', if that helps?

          I feel I should amend my own e-mail, lest I give the wrong impression,
          as well. My apologies. 'Kokusaika', conceptually, has become
          'internationalization' or more accurately, 'expantion into
          globalism/global economy' despite the initial coining as an almost
          totally Japanese-European prospect. Socially, however, this concept only
          goes so far - like an american claiming 'oneness' with citizens of
          Bangladesh because they're currently eating vindaloo with some naan.
          Your mileage may vary depending on region and subject matter as to how
          truly 'kokusaika' something is.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005

            Greetings from Solveig! "Kokusaika" more or less means
            "internationalization" lit. international + change. The term became
            popular during Ron'yasu period of US-Japanese relations.

            In general, you should try to be more explicit about what you want your
            phrases to mean in Japanese than to ask for translations of short stock
            phrases.