"New" member de-lurking

  • Erik
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2005
      Hello,

      I've been enjoying reading your messages for some time now, and the
      time has come for me to ask some questions of my own.

      I'm in the earliest stages of planning a dress/LARP armour. (The "Is-
      it-worth-it" stage, where you decide exactly what you want and if you
      can afford it, before you actually start buying and making stuff...)
      And would like to check with you people to make sure I don't have any
      inadvertent errors in style:

      The style of armour I'm aiming for is late Kamakura Jidai to early
      Naboku-Chô/Muromachi:
      A Kebiki Odoshi Maru Do* with Yoshitsune-gote and Tsuba suneate.
      Fitted with O-sode and Gyoyo covering the kohaze on the watagami.
      Plus a 16-plate Kabuto with Kasa-jikoro slanting down at about 45
      degrees to vertical.

      *: For the sake of practicality and affordability I'll be cheating on
      this point: actually making a Ni-mai Do of plastic kiritsuke zane...
      As I'm not restricted to the same demands of impact resistance as for
      a SCA combat armor, I can use a type of plastic that can
      be "lacquered" and varnished to get a more proper shine. Not to
      mention it saves some weight, so I can actually walk/run around in it
      for extended periods of time more easily. (Which is good if you
      intend to visit a week-long 24 hours a day event...)

      I'm still struggling with the following questions:

      -How common were Kuwagata in this period (latter half of the 14th
      century)? Were they still only reserved for people of high rank or
      did everyone already wear them?

      -Is wearing Haidate with this armour plausible and if so, what form
      did these take, the "modern" form or the armoured short hakama?

      Any suggestions for odoshi colour are also welcome, as my preference
      seems to fluctuate daily. (it's moegi ito at the moment, possibly kon
      ito later today...) :)

      Oh, and a heartfelt Domo arigato gozaimatsu to Anthony Bryant for his
      excellent site and everyone on this list for their knowledge and
      entertaining posting styles!

      Greetings,
      Erik Oerlemans.
      (Japanese name stil in research...)
    • oct_avian
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2014
        Greetings all,

        I'm not sure if "delayar" is still here on this list, or if anyone else might have the pattern for the set of armor that he has pictures of in the Armour (Dress-LARP) photo album.  I'm currently creating a "coat of plates" for a first basic set of armor to get me on the field but am working towards a suit of armor like his for a future goal.  Thanks in advance.

        YIS,

        Gaius Octavius Lunaris
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2014
          Check out www.sengokudaimyo.com for information on Japanese armoring. It's pretty much the bible for the SCA Japanese armorer.

          Saionji no Hana
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2014

            Greetings from Solveig! You may be interested in the armor instructions at http://www.yamakaminari.com/2013/07/08/making-japanese-armor/ for Japanese armor to get you out onto the field with.

          • Octavian Düm
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 14, 2014
              Thank you Saionji no Hana and Solveig Throndardottir,  I have seen those two sites (Clan Yama Kaminari and Sengoku Daimyo) and they seem to be pretty all encompassing.  Has anyone on here made armor from the directions and have any words of advice for me related to constructing it?  Also I see there is some historical information on Sengoku Daimyo which is nice because I like the thought of being able to have specific historical information to point to for the armor when it's done!

              On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:

              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! You may be interested in the armor instructions at http://www.yamakaminari.com/2013/07/08/making-japanese-armor/ for Japanese armor to get you out onto the field with.

              ~|~ Octavian Dum ~|~
              "Greased Lightning"
              Those Damned Kids
              Portland Domain
              ADC Calendar
              US2013020020
              白銀
              虎月
            • Scott Ingleman
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 14, 2014
                My name is Hirotsune I am squired to Sir Ogami Akira, Daimyo of Clan Yama Kaminari. I built and wear the armor shown, made from barrels. I recommend the barrels it is very comfortable and I can do anything in it except for knitting. If you have any questions you can feel free to contact me if I don't know the answer I can ask Ogami-Sama for you.

                Hiro

                Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 15, 2014
                  I've build several pieces based off the Sengoku Daimyo instructions and patterns and I can say if you read through the site several times and follow the patterns you can make some damn fine armor.

                  http://tousando.proboards.com/thread/4313/full-latest-armor-image-heavy

                  This is a suit that I made using the patterns and instruction from Sengoku Daimyo, and I pretty much laid out all of my steps in this thread so it may answer a good amount of your questions when you read the site.
                • Octavian Düm
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 16, 2014
                    That looks really awesome, thanks for sharing!!

                    --

                    ~|~ Octavian Dum ~|~
                    "Greased Lightning"

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014
                        I Have a SS Zunari Boshi almost completed (except for Grill)
                        Pix of the exact style are on my face book Iron River Armoury.

                        William S. Giltner
                        Lrd Tatsuo Okami
                        Iron River Armoury
                        www.iron-river-armoury.com