Re: [SCA-JML] looking for Charcoal braziers

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      Katherine wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I am in search of a charcoal brazier that looks somewhat Japanese to
      > take camping and especially to Pennsic. I am sorry if this is a
      > question that has been asked before but I have not been able to find
      > information other than very modern looking Hibachi's.
      >
      > Any websites on getting one or making one would be most appreciated.
      >
      > Domo Arigato,
      >
      > Ekat

      I have a Korean brazier made of brass that I got through an antique
      store...it greatly resembles the "portable fireplaces" I frequently see
      in catalogues that carry outdoor stuff. Usually they are round, with
      three feet and appear to stand about 8 inches or so off of the ground.

      I have seen antique Japanese "hibachis"...these were made of wood,
      usually elm or something similar, and had a firebox that was lined with
      some kind of sheet metal, often copper. The firebox was rectangular,
      and took up a little more than 3/4 of the top surface of the box. There
      was a drawer in the bottom of the box on the end that didn't have the
      firebox in it. Not sure if this is what you're talking about or if the
      first item I described would work. If you're handy at woodworking this
      second one shouldn't be that hard to build...there's no rule that says
      you have to have the drawer part. This is a picture of a more elaborate
      version of the one I saw:

      http://www.detnews.com/2002/decorating/0205/08/e20-480912.htm

      This one is a simpler one...just a box with a sheet metal liner...

      http://www.laartbox.com/art_restorer_detail_hibachi.htm

      Hope this helps....

      Kiri