Japanese tent

  • soma_masayuki
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2005
      Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.

      domo,
      Masayuki
    • Donald Luby
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2005
        On Jun 29, 2005, at 10:13 AM, soma_masayuki wrote:

        > Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.

        I don't know what a Roman wall tent looks like, but from what I've been
        able to determine, the shape of one of those portable garages is very
        close to the size and shape.

        > domo,
        > Masayuki

        Koredono
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2005

          > Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.

          I so not know what a Roman wall tent looks like. The only Japanse tents
          of which I am familiar are the akunoya.
          You can find four drawings of Akunoya at http://www.deMoivre.org/Japan/

          You can find photographs of reproductions at:
          http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/tents.html

          You can find an article by Baron Edward at
          http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/japanesetents.htm

          They are discussed in a recent musicological essay (text in German)
          http://www.fachschaften.uni-muenchen.de/japanologie/hausarbeiten/
          gagaku.html#no

          You may be interested in a web page on the kamakura period (Japanese -
          with Japanese version)
          http://www.toride.com/~sansui/

          Akunoya apear several places in Heike Monogatari.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "soma_masayuki" <soma_masayuki@y...>
            wrote:
            > Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.

            For those who don't know what wall tents look like this Civil War
            sutler has some on their page at
            http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg31.htm

            And to answer the original question, not really. Wall tents use a
            ridgepole and two uprights (like a wedge tent) and the walls are
            supported by ropes and/or exterior poles. Akunoya have a more
            structural frame, if memory serves.....

            Makiwara
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 29, 2005

              Geetings from Solveig!

              >> Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.
              >
              > For those who don't know what wall tents look like this Civil War
              > sutler has some on their page at
              > http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg31.htm

              That's your basic "army tent". My parents used to have one (apparently
              army surplus) which we used to camp in. No, they do not much look like
              an akunoya.

            • madnative81
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 29, 2005
                wrote:
                > Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.
                >
                > domo,
                > Masayuki

                Besides it being too small, in my opinion anyway, a PROPER Roman wall
                tent is made from full leather hides, front to back and top to bottom.
                Not quite right for an akunoya, unless there's a really spiff example
                of a leather one out there I don't know about? :oD In which case, me
                thinks I may pass on the canvas for mine....
              • Kenneth Kruse
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2005
                  By the way the correct way of honorifics are (name)-Domo, not Domo, (name). And you never refer to your self as (name)-Domo, it is used toward others (e.x. Yusa-domo)

                  Yusa Tatsuaki

                  soma_masayuki <soma_masayuki@...> wrote:
                  Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.

                  domo,
                  Masayuki

                  ---------------------------------

                • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 3, 2005
                    >> soma_masayuki <soma_masayuki@y...> wrote:
                    >> Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.
                    >>
                    >> domo,
                    >> Masayuki
                    >>
                    > By the way the correct way of honorifics are (name)-Domo, not Domo,
                    (name). And you never refer to your self as (name)-Domo, it is used
                    toward others (e.x. Yusa-domo)

                    > Yusa Tatsuaki

                    Close, but no cigar, Yusa-dono. The honorific is *-dono*, not *domo*.
                    Masayuki-dono was using *domo* as a shortened form of *domo arigato*
                    (thank you).

                    Otagiri
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Kenneth Kruse wrote:

                      > By the way the correct way of honorifics are (name)-Domo, not Domo,
                      > (name). And you never refer to your self as (name)-Domo, it is used
                      > toward others (e.x. Yusa-domo)
                      >
                      > Yusa Tatsuaki
                      >
                      > soma_masayuki <soma_masayuki@...> wrote:
                      > Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.
                      >
                      > domo,
                      > Masayuki

                      I think this person was saying "thank you", not using the title for
                      themselves! As in "Domo Arigato...etc."

                      Kiri
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005

                        Greetings from Solveig! That is "dono" or "tono" not "domo". And, yes,
                        in most cultures it is seldom polite to attach honourifics or titles to
                        your own name.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 4, 2005
                          Bad Solveig! No biscuit! You should have checked out the original
                          message and seen that they were saying "thank you".

                        • Kenneth Kruse
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005
                            Oh, my deepest apologies

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 10, 2005

                              Greetings from Solveig! Is old mail be resent by a server somewhere?

                              On 2005 Aug 10, at 9:49 PM, Kenneth Kruse wrote:

                              > Oh, my deepest apologies
                              >
                              > Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:
                              >>> soma_masayuki <soma_masayuki@y...> wrote:
                              >>> Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.
                              >>>
                              >>> domo,
                              >>> Masayuki
                              >>>
                              >> By the way the correct way of honorifics are (name)-Domo, not Domo,
                              > (name). And you never refer to your self as (name)-Domo, it is used
                              > toward others (e.x. Yusa-domo)
                              >>
                              >> Yusa Tatsuaki
                              >>

                              > Close, but no cigar, Yusa-dono. The honorific is *-dono*, not *domo*.
                              > Masayuki-dono was using *domo* as a shortened form of *domo arigato*
                              > (thank you).
                              >
                              > Otagiri

                            • Kenneth Kruse
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 11, 2005
                                Hmmm, it should had been sent by sender only, I sent it sorry

                                Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote: Noble Cousins!

                                Greetings from Solveig! Is old mail be resent by a server somewhere?

                                On 2005 Aug 10, at 9:49 PM, Kenneth Kruse wrote:

                                > Oh, my deepest apologies
                                >
                                > Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:
                                >>> soma_masayuki <soma_masayuki@y...> wrote:
                                >>> Would a Roman wall tent with 6ft walls be close to a Japanese tent.
                                >>>
                                >>> domo,
                                >>> Masayuki
                                >>>
                                >> By the way the correct way of honorifics are (name)-Domo, not Domo,
                                > (name). And you never refer to your self as (name)-Domo, it is used
                                > toward others (e.x. Yusa-domo)
                                >>
                                >> Yusa Tatsuaki
                                >>

                                > Close, but no cigar, Yusa-dono. The honorific is *-dono*, not *domo*.
                                > Masayuki-dono was using *domo* as a shortened form of *domo arigato*
                                > (thank you).
                                >
                                > Otagiri

                                Living history Used car history Vehicle history

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 22, 2005

                                  Yes. I am still trying to get mail working again.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 22, 2005