Re: [SCA-JML] Looking for information on yugake (gloves)

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2005
      In a message dated 6/24/2005 12:39:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> writes:

      >I'm tired of string burns and I would like to make some
      >gloves for future kite crashing adventures. While I suppose
      >I could wear modern gloves, or even go with a modern Western
      >glove pattern, I remember seeing gloves in photos of the
      >Jidai Matsuri. They appear to be fabric or leather, usually
      >in a dark color (blue, though I did see a dark maroon and >even a bottle green) with white patterning, often resembling >fawn spots.

      I do not remember if it was in the Field Museum in Chicago, or the Textile Museum in Minnesota, IIRC Edo period, but I have seen a pair fairly close up. They were fine leather almost blue-black and the fawn spots (good description) themseves were tombstone shaped, not round. I belive that pattern is common for dyed leathers for military gear. The yugake were made more like kote, in that they actualy laced up, instead of having the wrap-tie like on kyudo gloves. I wish I had pictures :( Drop a note specifically to the good Baron, he may have some pictures somewhere.

      -Takeda Sanjuichiro