suikan pattern

  • soma_masayuki
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7 12:01 PM
      I have the pattern, but are the sides of the body open or sewn close?
      The inside of the sleeves are open correct?
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7 12:27 PM
        Suikan sides are open :)

        -Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa
      • Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7 12:33 PM
          The suikan is essentially like a poncho. The sides are not sewn to each
          other. The garment is put on and the lower front and back is either
          tucked into the hakama, if worn with the relaxed v shaped drape to the
          collar, or if the collar is tied closed, the front and back are worn in
          an obi, with the upper part pulled up and "bloused" for lack of better
          words.
          The sleeves are not sewn shut, and are only attached to the garment for
          about 5 inches or so, about three inches off the top fold mark of the
          shoulder.
          I would reccomend reenforcing this area carefully, as the entire stress
          of the sleeve is there.
          When ironed nicely, and starched, the "top fold" of the sleeve and
          the "top fold" marks of the shoulder should match, but you will be able
          to see the kosode underneeth, and along the entire sides.
          If you have access to the films Onmyoji I&II you can see lovely suikan
          in action - it helps tremendously to see the garments as they are
          supposed to be worn. It gives great insight as to the construction.
          Hope this helps.

          Date

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "soma_masayuki" <soma_masayuki@y...>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7 12:36 PM
            so the sleeves are open tubes and only attach 10" on the back of the
            body correct? And on the pattern I have the sleeve will be 27" long is
            that correct? This pattern is confusing a little. What kind of cord
            would be good for the sleeves too?

            Arigato gozaimasu
            Soma the confused

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7 12:53 PM
              10 inches is a little long for the attachment. 5 or 6 is more like it.
              This part is sewn to the back only, not the front.
              It sounds like the sleeve length is about right. You can use flat braid
              for the sleeve ties, or rounded courd, but as far as I know, flat is
              more appropriate.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7 1:08 PM
                Arigato gozaimasu, I am no longer confused. Another question the
                neck cord one is attached to the back, where is the other attached?
                How is the collar made too?

                Arigato gozaimasu
                Soma

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Date Saburou Yukiie" <kabuto@z...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7 1:17 PM
                  The courd for the front attaches to the right at the neckline. The
                  collar is a reasonably simple roll. I cheat and put in a little black
                  snap on the top left and end of the collar to help it stay closed
                  when I want it to...but it is not needed...I just like mine to stay
                  closed when I want it to! ;-)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7 1:29 PM
                    Here is a pic that sort of shows the front of the garment. You can see
                    the sleeve detail well enough. Note that I am wearing a yugote on the
                    left arm, so you cannot see that side, but you can see the kosode
                    undernieth the suikan.
                    http://www.kabutographics.com/z_image_storage/for_web/gifs/hunting_snow_
                    008.gif
                    Date