Re: [SCA-JML] A bunch of questions(was:Spiffy book )

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 3, 2000

      BAD SOLVEIG! You must be forgetting Japanese. As I recall, in Modern
      Japanese Yomu does transform into an adjectival Yomitai. The -u
      transforms into something like a renyokei -i or something like that.
      Then the -tai is added to the end giving Yomitai.

      Technically, the -tai is a jodoshi (auxiliary verb). The ta-i itself
      then transforms into ta-ku which can then take the nai ending. In
      Classical Japanese, vowels were not allowed to adjoin, so the older
      form was ta-shi and changed into ta-i in Modern Japanese.

      Regardless, the grammatical categories in Japanese are not really
      the same as the grammatical categories in English although they
      sometimes appear similar.

      As I vaguely recall, gozaru is go-aru with the go being an honorific
      prefix and the -aru being the existence verb. The existence verb should
      transform and otherwise function as usual. As I recall, gozaru is written
      in many texts with two kanji. The one read go-, o-, on- &c. and the one
      usually read as -aru. But, why bother remembering! I have a whole book
      of Kyogen here. In the Kyogenki, gozaru is written with go- in Kanji
      and aru in hiragana. Unfortunately, gozaru does not appear to show up
      in the Tenshokyogenbon. The phrase does not appear to show up in the
      Shinsarugakuki. Of course it does not show up in the Kamakurajidai
      stuff that I have here.

      -de gozaru is very much characteristic of kyogen dialog and since it
      doesn't show up in most of the Muromachijidai stuff that I have here
      which continues to use -keri, -nari, &c. I suspect that it is rather
      characteristic of the late Muromachi period. Note. The later and
      rather post-period kyogenshu has the actors sticking -gozaru after
      just about anything after of course intejecting a -te or -de.

      *SIGH* I just should havce looked it up. Daijirin has an entry for
      -gozaru. It clearly shows that it written in kanji as <go><aru>. I do
      believe I have a text somewhere which is full of it written that
      way. Perhaps it is the more or less period tea book of which I have
      a copy.

      Regardless. All of this does make yomitaku de govaru an impossible
      construction. Yomitaku should be followed by a verbal and not by
      the joshi -de.

      Ahh.. Irasharundegozaimasuka? Or, something like that. I forget. It's
      been a long time.

      I would really have to try to look at a bunch of period dialog to
      try to cough up a good answer. In later kyogen, the daimyo strides
      about shouting "aruka? aruka?" when summoning Tarokaja. However,
      aru generally means to exist and not to live or for an animate
      being to be in one spot. What they teach you in 1st year Japanese
      is to use iru and its forms and not aru and its forms when talking
      about people.

      >Do you use honorific for yourself when talking to those beneath you? I
      >was never clear on that, although in modern times there rarely is such a
      >case, AFAIK (unless you are dealing with less savory elements).

      I suppose that you could do it. However, I would not generally advise
      it unless your status was really unassailable.

      >Finally, on the subject of names, I am looking at several names and the
      >kanji for it. For family names I am looking at Takeda (Takeda Shingen),
      >Katou (Katou Kiyomasa), or Ii (Ii Naomasa), all of which I know the kanji
      >for. For first names I am looking at Kenshin (Uesugi Kenshin), and
      >haven't found another personal name that I like as well yet.
      >Unfortunately, I can't find Uesugi Kenshin's kanji. Help would be
      >appreciated.

      I looked up Uesugi Kenshin in Sengokujinmeijiten. He of course has
      lots and lots of names. His earliest name was Torachiyo by which he
      was called when he was very young. Unfortunately, Sengoku Jinmeijiten
      is not as good at onomastics as is Kamakura-Muramachi Jinmeijiten.
      I am a bit suspicious about "kenshin" as it sounds like a homyo which
      you should not be using unless you really want to say that you have
      taken Buddhist orders. Fortunately, Daijirin has an entry for Uesugi
      Kenshin which clearly indicates that Kenshin was (as I suspected) a
      "hogo" or name in religion.

      Consequently, please try to come up with a name with the following
      structure:

      Takeda and Katou are just fine. And, I suppose that Ii is fine
      as well. So are Tanaka, Iguchi, Nakata, &c. So, just pick whichever
      one that you like.

      Yobina are common use names and are what people who are intimate
      enough to use your name at all might call you. The most stereotypical
      of these names are the Charlie Chan Sons names #1 son, #2 son, &c
      with possibly a bit of decorative prefix. Also, #2 son of #3 son
      is also possible. The nanori were things like, Hideyoshi, Nobutaka,
      Yoritomo, Hidetada, &c. These names are frequently written with two
      kanji and take kun-yomi readings. One of the two kanji is often
      inheritted from your father. In this case, the letter is called a
      tsuji. (As I recall, that is what it is called.) Note. If you want
      to include an animal in your name, the yobina is a good place to
      do it.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Marc Choronzey
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 9, 2000
        That's another one I forgot to ask about:

        Does anybody have a reliable yoroi hitatare pattern?

        -Shimaha.

        http://profiles.msn.com