Re: [SCA-JML] Nebutas and historical referrences

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
      Noble Cousins!

      After I get back from the conference next week, I can try looking for
      one of my matsuri sources and see if there is something pre-Edo about
      nebuta. Maybe Baron Edward or someone else can check sources before
      that.

      Note. Matsuri as we currently know them (at least the big ones)
      are an outgrowth of the railroad and consequently only date from the
      Meiji Restoration. They do have pre-railroad anticedents, but the
      railroad really brought about festival tourism. Note. Even some
      pre-railroad tourism in the form of pilgrimages was possible. However,
      without the railroad, you would have to walk to the thing. And, there
      would be check points where you would need to present a passport or
      otherwise convince them to let you across.

      | techie.com, msn.com |