[SCA-JML] Re: Kyogen of Errors

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005

      >It felt a lot like commedia dell'arte in some ways.
      The run time sounded LONG for kyougen. Regardless, it SHOULD feel a
      LOT like Commedia dell'Arte. Historically, kyougen has stock
      characters and is improvisational. Some of the kyougen plays (e.g.,
      Kaminari) have obvious counterparts in Commedia plays. Incidentally,
      while I do understand your sentiments, Japanese theatre frequenty
      presupposes that the audience arrives very familiar with the story.
      The anticipation, such as it is, revolves around the individual
      performances. Japanese theatre is more like going to see The Wizard
      of Oz for the thirtieth time. It is perfectly acceptable for the
      stories to be old friends.

      | trash by my email filters. |