Re: [SCA-JML] Kyogen of Errors

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005

      >I LOVE living in the Bay Area. I just saw an article on this
      >production in the paper today and I've scored tickets for tomorrow night.
      >http://www.sfintlartsfest.org/theatre/mansaku.html

      Have fun. I know some of the people in Theatre Yuugen and also, as I
      recall, some of the people in the kyougen theatre. If you are
      interested in studying theatre at Pennsic, please show up for my
      class. I do not pretend to be of any great competence. The kyougen
      people and the Yuugen people spend time in Japan studying with
      professional theatre companies. However, I am interested in the
      history of Japanese theatre, and as I always explain to people, you
      help me with my research by participating in my workshop at Pennsic.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        > >http://www.sfintlartsfest.org/theatre/mansaku.html
        >
        > Have fun.

        Just got in the door from "Kyogen of Errors." I hesitate to spoil this
        for anyone who is fortunate enough to see it*, but I will say that it
        was great fun. Supertitles in English are projected above the stage
        for the edification of non-Japanese speakers, but even without, one
        could follow the comic adventures that ensue when two sets of twins,
        separated by shipwreck, turn up on the same island. Mansai Nomura (Abe
        no Seimei of the "Onmiyoji" films) directed this adaptation of
        Shakespeare's "Comedy of Errors" and plays one set of twins. Don't
        look for the elegant, smug Seimei, you'll be laughing too hard.

        *It's playing next week at Montclair State in NJ. Check your area's
        theater listings to see if it may be coming to your town.

        M.
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005

          How long was the play? I"m curious, because it is of course a fusion
          work. Traditional kyougen are rather short. Unfortunately, I am very
          unlikely to be able to see a performance.

          | trash by my email filters. |
        • makiwara_no_yetsuko
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > How long was the play? I"m curious, because it is of course a fusion
            > work. Traditional kyougen are rather short. Unfortunately, I am very
            > unlikely to be able to see a performance.

            Hmm, curtain time was 8PM, we were out by 9:40. This included some
            pre-show interaction with the audience (don't want to spoil this for
            anybody who makes the Montclair shows next week).

            It felt a lot like commedia dell'arte in some ways.

            M.
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005

              >It felt a lot like commedia dell'arte in some ways.
              The run time sounded LONG for kyougen. Regardless, it SHOULD feel a
              LOT like Commedia dell'Arte. Historically, kyougen has stock
              characters and is improvisational. Some of the kyougen plays (e.g.,
              Kaminari) have obvious counterparts in Commedia plays. Incidentally,
              while I do understand your sentiments, Japanese theatre frequenty
              presupposes that the audience arrives very familiar with the story.
              The anticipation, such as it is, revolves around the individual
              performances. Japanese theatre is more like going to see The Wizard
              of Oz for the thirtieth time. It is perfectly acceptable for the
              stories to be old friends.

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
                A review appeared in today's SF Chronicle. The web version can be
                viewed at
                http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/03/DDG82D22F11.DTL

                Ya ya koshi ya!

                M.