Re: [SCA-JML] Nebutas and historical referrences

  • mercy67@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
      <<You could try contacting the Niigata municipal government >>

      Do you know if there is an email address or anything in order to contact this place?

      --Mercy
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
        Re. the Nebuta:

        Check out some images at
        http://biz.biglobe.ne.jp/service/live/examples/nebuta/index.html

        (The first row of pictures is of Aomori's ô-daiko, the BIGGEST mo-fo taiko
        I've ever seen, at 3 meters in diameter. It takes three people to beat it.
        Droooooooooooool.......)

        The photos are rather small, though.

        Note that the floats are typically a story or more high. (Evidenced by
        http://www.pref.aomori.jp/culture/minzoku/44e.html ) Very impressive.

        Nebuta are really rather modern as we know them today. I'm not aware of any
        reference to the floats in their present form in Period. I'd guess it's an
        Edo expansion of an earlier (and slightly simpler and less gaudy) matsuri.

        Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

          After I get back from the conference next week, I can try looking for
          one of my matsuri sources and see if there is something pre-Edo about
          nebuta. Maybe Baron Edward or someone else can check sources before
          that.

          Note. Matsuri as we currently know them (at least the big ones)
          are an outgrowth of the railroad and consequently only date from the
          Meiji Restoration. They do have pre-railroad anticedents, but the
          railroad really brought about festival tourism. Note. Even some
          pre-railroad tourism in the form of pilgrimages was possible. However,
          without the railroad, you would have to walk to the thing. And, there
          would be check points where you would need to present a passport or
          otherwise convince them to let you across.

          | techie.com, msn.com |