Need pattern for a happi coat

  • soma_masayuki
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      Does anyone have a pattern for a happi coat. I need a pattern.

      Arigato gozaimasu
      Soma no Ryoichi Masayuki
    • Tom Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
        Konbanwa

        I'm currently experimenting with taking the basic kosode pattern, and making larger sleeves, and omitting the overlap panels on the front. . For a sleevless one, we're omitting the sleeves as well.

        hope this helps

        Ishikawa Genjiro Uchimitsu.

        soma_masayuki <soma_masayuki@...> wrote:
        Does anyone have a pattern for a happi coat. I need a pattern.

        Arigato gozaimasu
        Soma no Ryoichi Masayuki

      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005

          >Does anyone have a pattern for a happi coat. I need a pattern.
          You can find a pattern in the book on making Japanese clothing. There
          is also a Folways pattern available. That said. Why do you want a
          Hapi coat? They really are not particularly appopriate for the SCA.
          There are somewhat similar looking garments which are appropriate.

          | trash by my email filters. |
        • soma_masayuki
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
            Valor 26 is Japanese this year and they were thinking about having the
            servers at feast wear hapi coats. what would be better to wear and it
            needs to be cheap to make. We have to make a few.

            Arigato gozaimasu
            Soma no Ryoichi Masayuki
          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
              My thought is that you do suikan. They are basically abbreviated
              kariginu, and made up of mostly rectangles. You don't worry about
              colors, and the only complicated part is the collar (and this easier
              than some because you want to just make a stiff, round collar). It
              can be thrown over anything, rather like a tabard, and belted.

              Ideally, each one also has a white ate-obi (just an obi made of the
              same material to blend in) and if you got ambitious you could make
              sashinuki. These are like hakama, except they are a little longer and
              tie at the ankle--so they go over whatever else someone wears (even a
              dress) and can tie up at the feet so nothing escapes. Great for
              keeping their underclothes clean! Also nice, you can get 36" white
              muslin fabric, which should be cheap, and just cut a slit up the
              center (fake a back seem down the middle, if you are ambitious). Make
              deep sleeves that only attach at about 10" in the back, 1 panel (18")
              each. You should get a little less than 72" across, wrist to wrist
              (probably about 67" across the back, depending on your seams).

              This garment is versatile, and you can use it for anything where you
              need servants. Also, if there is a sleeve issue, you can easily get
              out of the sleeve and just let it fall behind you, then get back into
              it (this knowledge has been gained through many hours of kariginu
              experience).

              If you decide not to go this way, for some reason, I would either go
              with a kosode or, if I had to, a dobuku. A dobuku generally seems
              like a leisure and not a work garment, though.

              -Ii