Re: [SCA-JML] how it was, how we wish it was

  • Heather Murray
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      <snip>

      > Hooo!

      Mockingbirds sing loud,
      'Personating valued kin,
      The sweet nightingale.
      The harsh sound of nest-stealers,
      No true music, wearies ears.

    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        I sense this post could have our moderators crying "Thread kill!
        Thread kill!" in short order. I am not sure what I did to set this
        off, however, I feel I should respond.

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth William-Jones
        <pennygirlandsea@y...> wrote:
        > stop trying to be sensei all the time!

        We are all students. We are all teachers. Do you have any idea how
        wonderful that is? Do you have any idea how much I have learned from
        people on this list? I am still learning all this too. I gladly defer
        to those with more expertise than myself, but I often find myself
        thinking, "I don't know!" when someone posts a question and that spurs
        me to do more reading and research myself.

        The day I don't want to learn something new is the day they'll drop
        clods of earth on my coffin lid.

        > BEG for the way out.
        >
        > Miloooord:
        > How it was: anti-semetism, plagues, and whatnot.
        > THat's why the BoD came up with that clever claim to
        > fantasy: how we wish it was. What you do is
        > authentic only in claim, not in practice.

        If anyone really wants to, they can read my views on the pursuit of
        authenticity in the SCA at
        http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/an_argument_for_authenticity.htm
        I see no need to reiterate them here.

        > It's a fantasy since the moment of conception.
        Fair enough. But you have no right to dictate the limits of my fantasy
        any more than I have a right to dictate yours. You are free to play
        within the rules of the game. So am I. Those rules allow for a wide
        spectrum of play.

        Please forgive me if my idea of a good time is not your idea of a good
        time. I am not aware I ever insisted it had to be.

        Makiwara, also known as Lady Jehanne de Wodeford, Province of the
        Mists, West Kingdom
      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

          Shouldn't that be ...?

          No virus is found
          In this outgoing message
          Checked by AVG
          Which is only as secure
          As the latest file update

          -Otagiri
        • Heather Murray
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

            > > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
            >
            > Shouldn't that be ...?
            >
            > No virus is found
            > In this outgoing message
            > Checked by AVG
            > Which is only as secure
            > As the latest file update
            >
            > -Otagiri

            ::snrk!:: Well, AVG doesn't seem to feel it necessary to follow scansion
            issues. Just scanning issues.

            Margaret

          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! I fear that you have and perhaps others hear
              have tread upon one of my political "hot buttons".
              > > THat's why the BoD came up with that clever claim to
              >> fantasy: how we wish it was. What you do is
              > > authentic only in claim, not in practice.
              Actually, the last time I looked, there was no such "as we would have
              liked them to
              be" or its several variants in the official organizing documents of
              SCA, Inc. (California)

              Regardless of anything that appears or does not appear in the
              official documents, we collectively create the Society each day. We
              collectively either cherish scholarship or despise scholarship.
              Personally, scholarship is a lot more friendly to me than fantasy
              ever will be. I explained this before. However, I will mention again
              that I think that scholarhsip is a much bigger tent than fantasy ever
              will be.

              Incidentally, I rather enjoyed "An Argument for Authenticity: One
              Traveler's Journey". Yes, the Society is best described as a BIG
              smorgasbord where you can pursue aspects of premodern life which
              interest you. Further, there are lots of opportunities to learn from
              other area experts who may be focused on other times and places than
              you are, but who posess information and skills which you need.

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • autumnriver
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Heather Murray