Kyogen of Errors

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
      I LOVE living in the Bay Area. I just saw an article on this
      production in the paper today and I've scored tickets for tomorrow night.
      http://www.sfintlartsfest.org/theatre/mansaku.html

      The director is Nomura Mansai, who played Abe no Seimei in "Onmiyoji."

      Check and see if there are any productions in your area. It's playing
      at Montclair State in NJ next week!

      I'll post a full report afterward.

      M.
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005

        >I LOVE living in the Bay Area. I just saw an article on this
        >production in the paper today and I've scored tickets for tomorrow night.
        >http://www.sfintlartsfest.org/theatre/mansaku.html

        Have fun. I know some of the people in Theatre Yuugen and also, as I
        recall, some of the people in the kyougen theatre. If you are
        interested in studying theatre at Pennsic, please show up for my
        class. I do not pretend to be of any great competence. The kyougen
        people and the Yuugen people spend time in Japan studying with
        professional theatre companies. However, I am interested in the
        history of Japanese theatre, and as I always explain to people, you
        help me with my research by participating in my workshop at Pennsic.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          > >http://www.sfintlartsfest.org/theatre/mansaku.html
          >
          > Have fun.

          Just got in the door from "Kyogen of Errors." I hesitate to spoil this
          for anyone who is fortunate enough to see it*, but I will say that it
          was great fun. Supertitles in English are projected above the stage
          for the edification of non-Japanese speakers, but even without, one
          could follow the comic adventures that ensue when two sets of twins,
          separated by shipwreck, turn up on the same island. Mansai Nomura (Abe
          no Seimei of the "Onmiyoji" films) directed this adaptation of
          Shakespeare's "Comedy of Errors" and plays one set of twins. Don't
          look for the elegant, smug Seimei, you'll be laughing too hard.

          *It's playing next week at Montclair State in NJ. Check your area's
          theater listings to see if it may be coming to your town.

          M.
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005

            How long was the play? I"m curious, because it is of course a fusion
            work. Traditional kyougen are rather short. Unfortunately, I am very
            unlikely to be able to see a performance.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > How long was the play? I"m curious, because it is of course a fusion
              > work. Traditional kyougen are rather short. Unfortunately, I am very
              > unlikely to be able to see a performance.

              Hmm, curtain time was 8PM, we were out by 9:40. This included some
              pre-show interaction with the audience (don't want to spoil this for
              anybody who makes the Montclair shows next week).

              It felt a lot like commedia dell'arte in some ways.

              M.
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005

                >It felt a lot like commedia dell'arte in some ways.
                The run time sounded LONG for kyougen. Regardless, it SHOULD feel a
                LOT like Commedia dell'Arte. Historically, kyougen has stock
                characters and is improvisational. Some of the kyougen plays (e.g.,
                Kaminari) have obvious counterparts in Commedia plays. Incidentally,
                while I do understand your sentiments, Japanese theatre frequenty
                presupposes that the audience arrives very familiar with the story.
                The anticipation, such as it is, revolves around the individual
                performances. Japanese theatre is more like going to see The Wizard
                of Oz for the thirtieth time. It is perfectly acceptable for the
                stories to be old friends.

                | trash by my email filters. |
              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
                  A review appeared in today's SF Chronicle. The web version can be
                  viewed at
                  http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/03/DDG82D22F11.DTL

                  Ya ya koshi ya!

                  M.