Re: [SCA-JML] Tabi, zori and geta, Oh My!

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

      >Question: At the Costume Museum site
      >http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
      >all the female models that I can find that are wearing
      >zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
      >correct?
      My do you have better eyesight than I do! Regardless, only having
      white straps on them at the costume musuem is not by itself strong
      evidence that the starps were invariably white. Hand-made mingei
      versions which I used to have, but which sadly stayed in Japan so I
      can not show them to you, had hand made straps made out of salvaged
      cloth. The straps therefore had a mixture of colours. If you continue
      to use this technique, but want them monochromatic, then you dye them
      a darker colour. The life of kosode is rather interesting. They are
      dissassembled each time they are washed and when they no longer come
      clean they are redyed a darker shade and thr process repeats until
      the cloth starts falling appart. After that, there are techniques for
      patching them. Finally the cloth is salvaged and reprocessed for
      other pursposes such as making kesa or reweaving.

      | trash by my email filters. |