Re: [SCA-JML] Tabi, zori and geta, Oh My!

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:

      > Noble Cousins!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Too bad that they do not
      > have rustic black.
      > Actually, there are some even more interesting
      > straps available from
      > people who make mingei.
      > --

      Question: At the Costume Museum site
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
      all the female models that I can find that are wearing
      zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
      correct?

      (I have actually found black strapped zori easier to
      find than white.)

      Ki no Izumi

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

        >Question: At the Costume Museum site
        >http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
        >all the female models that I can find that are wearing
        >zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
        >correct?
        My do you have better eyesight than I do! Regardless, only having
        white straps on them at the costume musuem is not by itself strong
        evidence that the starps were invariably white. Hand-made mingei
        versions which I used to have, but which sadly stayed in Japan so I
        can not show them to you, had hand made straps made out of salvaged
        cloth. The straps therefore had a mixture of colours. If you continue
        to use this technique, but want them monochromatic, then you dye them
        a darker colour. The life of kosode is rather interesting. They are
        dissassembled each time they are washed and when they no longer come
        clean they are redyed a darker shade and thr process repeats until
        the cloth starts falling appart. After that, there are techniques for
        patching them. Finally the cloth is salvaged and reprocessed for
        other pursposes such as making kesa or reweaving.

        | trash by my email filters. |