[SCA-JML] Re: new to the group

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005

      > > I am trying to use a Japanese accent.
      Please don't do this unless you are a talented comic like Hachirou
      dono. Even then, you should do it sparingly and pretty much only when
      "on stage". It is very unusual for someone's accent to sound funny to
      themselves.

      > > Or maybe try to change grammar?
      I suppose you can do this in private if you are using this as a
      technique for actually learning Japanese.

      >As others have posted, it is not necessary to speak (modern)
      >Japanese as most of the people we're interacting with speak (modern)
      >English.

      However, you CAN easily spice things up with English translations of
      comon place Japanese expressions and speech patterns or even Japanese
      stock phrases. You can learn to say: itakadakimasu, and
      gochisousamadeshita, and stuff like that. A cheery Ohayougozaimasu or
      Irashaimase or Okaerinasai when someone arrives. That sort of thing.

      >It occurs to me that you might try thinking of yourself as an
      >ambassador.

      Actually, this is a good way to approach "ware ware" Japanse group
      think. If you think of yourself as an amassador, you are likely to
      adopt more authentically Japanese approaches to things.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • pennygirlandsea
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
        Makiwara-hime, most laudibly instructive and discreet in manner:

        > undignified and foolish, not to mention being potentially offensive.
        I am already undignified and foolish, but offensive I'm not sure.
        Wasn't there a discussion already about offensive and Japanese
        persona? maybe actual Japanese person at an SCA even (super-rare
        thing) he/she might be annoyed, but I don't see why whiteys should be
        mad. as I said before I hear *bad* Scottish accents almost every
        event.

        > Hope this makes some sense to you, I admit I'm still a little jet lagged.

        jet lagged??? what is this WITCHERY of which you speak??

        ~*AkIkO*~

        > > (new confused and nothing to lose in sweaty eisenmarch ;)
        > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kita Jiru Toramassa <toramassa@g...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Greetings, I also am of Northshield, the shire of Korsvag. I will not
        > > > claim to be an authority on anything, but I will be happy to be of
        > > > what assistance I can be. Perhaps the thing I can be of most
        > > > assistance with is making armor. I have made two sets now, first out
        > > > of steel and then plastic. There are however others on this group or
        > > > the web that have some good directions on making Japanese armor.
        > > > Hopefully these sites will help some:
        > > > http://www.nb.net/~kmeg/kaminari/Armor/Title.html
        > > > http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/sendai_do_apocalypse/
        > > > http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/index.html
        > > > But most especially Mr. Bryant's site:
        > > > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/

        > thinking of a Japanese persona for some time. i live in the Kingdom of
        > Northshield. So i thought why not give it a try. first thing i thing i
        > should go is make some suitable garb. then i will work on Armour. i am
        > currently a 13 century Celt so my Armour will change slowly as i am a
        > heavy fight and fight every chance i get. i just wanted to say hello
        > to the group.

        > > > --
        > > > "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair.
        > Then I
        > > > thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
        > terrible
        > > > things that happen to us come becuase we actually deserve them?
        > So, now I
        > > > take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the
        > universe."
        > > > -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5
        > > >
        > > > John Lyon
        > > > aka The Ugly Dragon
        > > > aka Kita Jiru Toramassa
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "pennygirlandsea"
          <pennygirlandsea@y...> wrote:
          > as I said before I hear *bad* Scottish accents almost every
          > event.

          My real life ancestors didn't sound like a freakin' Lucky Charms
          commercial. This IS offensive - and I'm not exactly the most
          politically correct person on the planet.

          > jet lagged??? what is this WITCHERY of which you speak??
          Er, I mean, I'm still a bit tired from a very long palanquin ride
          along the Tokaido. ;->

          M.