Re: [SCA-JML] Tabi, zori and geta, Oh My!

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2005

      Greetings from Solveig! Too bad that they do not have rustic black.
      Actually, there are some even more interesting straps available from
      people who make mingei.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:

        > Noble Cousins!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! Too bad that they do not
        > have rustic black.
        > Actually, there are some even more interesting
        > straps available from
        > people who make mingei.
        > --

        Question: At the Costume Museum site
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
        all the female models that I can find that are wearing
        zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
        correct?

        (I have actually found black strapped zori easier to
        find than white.)

        Ki no Izumi

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

          >Question: At the Costume Museum site
          >http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
          >all the female models that I can find that are wearing
          >zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
          >correct?
          My do you have better eyesight than I do! Regardless, only having
          white straps on them at the costume musuem is not by itself strong
          evidence that the starps were invariably white. Hand-made mingei
          versions which I used to have, but which sadly stayed in Japan so I
          can not show them to you, had hand made straps made out of salvaged
          cloth. The straps therefore had a mixture of colours. If you continue
          to use this technique, but want them monochromatic, then you dye them
          a darker colour. The life of kosode is rather interesting. They are
          dissassembled each time they are washed and when they no longer come
          clean they are redyed a darker shade and thr process repeats until
          the cloth starts falling appart. After that, there are techniques for
          patching them. Finally the cloth is salvaged and reprocessed for
          other pursposes such as making kesa or reweaving.

          | trash by my email filters. |