Tabi, zori and geta, Oh My!

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2005
      If you go to http://rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ and search the menu
      at the left of the screen, you'll find an entry for tabi. Otagiri-dono
      has instructions inside on how to make period tabi. I made a pair out
      of linen (it was what I had to hand!) and they're wonderful. Helpful
      hint: cut it out really big and then fit it to your foot.

      The difference between these and modern tabi is that instead of
      closing at the back of the heel with metal hooks, they close at the
      front seam instead with ties. A plausible "cheat" would be to sew ties
      to modern tabi. (I bought a pair once. They shrank appallingly. The
      homemade ones do not.)

      The "rustic" style zori at
      http://www.goodsfromjapan.com/shop/sandals.html are the best looking
      ones I've seen to date in terms of not being glaringly modern looking.

      If you do some surfing on the web for "tatami zori" you can find those
      ones with the straw footbed and the black velvet thongs.

      There are any number of sellers on eBay who offer these accessories.

      Makiwara
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2005

        Greetings from Solveig! Too bad that they do not have rustic black.
        Actually, there are some even more interesting straps available from
        people who make mingei.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
          --- Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:

          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! Too bad that they do not
          > have rustic black.
          > Actually, there are some even more interesting
          > straps available from
          > people who make mingei.
          > --

          Question: At the Costume Museum site
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
          all the female models that I can find that are wearing
          zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
          correct?

          (I have actually found black strapped zori easier to
          find than white.)

          Ki no Izumi

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

            >Question: At the Costume Museum site
            >http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/
            >all the female models that I can find that are wearing
            >zori, are wearing zori with white straps. Is that not
            >correct?
            My do you have better eyesight than I do! Regardless, only having
            white straps on them at the costume musuem is not by itself strong
            evidence that the starps were invariably white. Hand-made mingei
            versions which I used to have, but which sadly stayed in Japan so I
            can not show them to you, had hand made straps made out of salvaged
            cloth. The straps therefore had a mixture of colours. If you continue
            to use this technique, but want them monochromatic, then you dye them
            a darker colour. The life of kosode is rather interesting. They are
            dissassembled each time they are washed and when they no longer come
            clean they are redyed a darker shade and thr process repeats until
            the cloth starts falling appart. After that, there are techniques for
            patching them. Finally the cloth is salvaged and reprocessed for
            other pursposes such as making kesa or reweaving.

            | trash by my email filters. |