Re: [SCA-JML] Nebutas and historical referrences

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

      The nebuta festivals are held in Tohoku region especially around Niigata.
      As I recall, the nebuta are more like gigantic lanterns than paper mache
      sculptures. According to Daijirin, they are associated with the Tanabata
      festival. Daijirin confirms that they are indeed gigantic lanterns and
      that the figures can be humans, animals, fans, &c. Incidentally, the
      nebuta floats are stored throughout the year in special houses. I have
      visited one or more of these houses although I was never in town at the
      same time as one of the nebuta festivals. You could try contacting
      the Niigata municipal government or simply contacting the cultural
      attache at your local Japanese consulate. I believe that they are made
      somewhat like other lanterns with wooden ribbing inside with coloured
      paper glued to the outside. Today they probably use electric lights,
      but in times past they would have used oil lamps or candles.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

        I should have read the note in my dictionary further. Daijirin says
        that the two most famous Nebuta towns are Hirosaki and Aomori (both
        of which are in Aomori-ken). Currently, the Nebuta festivals occur
        between August 1 and August 7. DUHH! I've even been to Aomori and
        Hirosaki more than once. I should have known that. Oh well. My memory
        is seeping away.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • mercy67@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
          <<You could try contacting the Niigata municipal government >>

          Do you know if there is an email address or anything in order to contact this place?

          --Mercy
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
            Re. the Nebuta:

            Check out some images at
            http://biz.biglobe.ne.jp/service/live/examples/nebuta/index.html

            (The first row of pictures is of Aomori's ô-daiko, the BIGGEST mo-fo taiko
            I've ever seen, at 3 meters in diameter. It takes three people to beat it.
            Droooooooooooool.......)

            The photos are rather small, though.

            Note that the floats are typically a story or more high. (Evidenced by
            http://www.pref.aomori.jp/culture/minzoku/44e.html ) Very impressive.

            Nebuta are really rather modern as we know them today. I'm not aware of any
            reference to the floats in their present form in Period. I'd guess it's an
            Edo expansion of an earlier (and slightly simpler and less gaudy) matsuri.

            Effingham
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

              After I get back from the conference next week, I can try looking for
              one of my matsuri sources and see if there is something pre-Edo about
              nebuta. Maybe Baron Edward or someone else can check sources before
              that.

              Note. Matsuri as we currently know them (at least the big ones)
              are an outgrowth of the railroad and consequently only date from the
              Meiji Restoration. They do have pre-railroad anticedents, but the
              railroad really brought about festival tourism. Note. Even some
              pre-railroad tourism in the form of pilgrimages was possible. However,
              without the railroad, you would have to walk to the thing. And, there
              would be check points where you would need to present a passport or
              otherwise convince them to let you across.

              | techie.com, msn.com |