Nebutas and historical referrences

  • mercy67@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
      Greetings everyone!

      Was looking over some sites on Japanese Celebrations and a few discussed Nebutas, the paper mache "Warriors" which was used in period for one of the celebrations (is it the Jidai Matsuri festival? Now I can't remember). Does anyone have any suggestions on sites or books that have pictures of these nebutas? I'd be REALLY curious about trying to recreate one for my next year's Japanese Festival I normally help run here in Altavia (Caid).

      You're help in this would be greatly apprecaited!

      --Lady Mercy

      P.S. I'll check your site, Stephan! I actually have, but my system was running SUPER slow.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

        The nebuta festivals are held in Tohoku region especially around Niigata.
        As I recall, the nebuta are more like gigantic lanterns than paper mache
        sculptures. According to Daijirin, they are associated with the Tanabata
        festival. Daijirin confirms that they are indeed gigantic lanterns and
        that the figures can be humans, animals, fans, &c. Incidentally, the
        nebuta floats are stored throughout the year in special houses. I have
        visited one or more of these houses although I was never in town at the
        same time as one of the nebuta festivals. You could try contacting
        the Niigata municipal government or simply contacting the cultural
        attache at your local Japanese consulate. I believe that they are made
        somewhat like other lanterns with wooden ribbing inside with coloured
        paper glued to the outside. Today they probably use electric lights,
        but in times past they would have used oil lamps or candles.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

          I should have read the note in my dictionary further. Daijirin says
          that the two most famous Nebuta towns are Hirosaki and Aomori (both
          of which are in Aomori-ken). Currently, the Nebuta festivals occur
          between August 1 and August 7. DUHH! I've even been to Aomori and
          Hirosaki more than once. I should have known that. Oh well. My memory
          is seeping away.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • mercy67@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
            <<You could try contacting the Niigata municipal government >>

            Do you know if there is an email address or anything in order to contact this place?

            --Mercy
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
              Re. the Nebuta:

              Check out some images at
              http://biz.biglobe.ne.jp/service/live/examples/nebuta/index.html

              (The first row of pictures is of Aomori's ô-daiko, the BIGGEST mo-fo taiko
              I've ever seen, at 3 meters in diameter. It takes three people to beat it.
              Droooooooooooool.......)

              The photos are rather small, though.

              Note that the floats are typically a story or more high. (Evidenced by
              http://www.pref.aomori.jp/culture/minzoku/44e.html ) Very impressive.

              Nebuta are really rather modern as we know them today. I'm not aware of any
              reference to the floats in their present form in Period. I'd guess it's an
              Edo expansion of an earlier (and slightly simpler and less gaudy) matsuri.

              Effingham
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000

                After I get back from the conference next week, I can try looking for
                one of my matsuri sources and see if there is something pre-Edo about
                nebuta. Maybe Baron Edward or someone else can check sources before
                that.

                Note. Matsuri as we currently know them (at least the big ones)
                are an outgrowth of the railroad and consequently only date from the
                Meiji Restoration. They do have pre-railroad anticedents, but the
                railroad really brought about festival tourism. Note. Even some
                pre-railroad tourism in the form of pilgrimages was possible. However,
                without the railroad, you would have to walk to the thing. And, there
                would be check points where you would need to present a passport or
                otherwise convince them to let you across.

                | techie.com, msn.com |