Re: [SCA-JML] Re: 2 questions...one on Kabuto and one on Japanese Clans in the SCA

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 39 , May 5 5:21 AM
      Ki no Torahime (Maria Gilson) wrote:

      > > S. David Lee wrote:
      > >

      > > > I personally would like to see more Japanese Clans. Four or five
      > > > *really active* Clans would make a huge difference to the Japanese
      > > > community in the SCA.
      > >
      > > Ogami-dono,
      > >
      > > There are some kingdoms, like here in Calontir, where household culture
      > > is not really a big thing. Although I suppose we Calontiri Nihon could
      > > band together as an interest group and devote ourselves to our kingdom?
      > > It would serve the same purpose, I suppose.
      > >
      > I just realized I should clarify that statement. The difference between
      > a "Clan" and an "Interest Group" being that a Clan has a set leader
      > (such as Ogami-dono, who leads his clan) to whom members swear fealty.
      > An Interest Group has no leader or a changable elected leader and is in
      > direct fealty to the kingdom.
      >
      > --Ki no Torahime

      I guess, then, that our household is a cross between the two. The only
      members of the household who are in fealty are those who are our
      students...apprentices and proteges. Other members are simply part of
      our "family"...spouses of our students and others. We have a
      European-style household, Tair Derwen (Three Oaks) and a Japanese-style
      clan, Inazuma. Since my husband, titular head of both, doesn't really
      show up in his Japanese persona very often, we mostly refer to Tair
      Derwen. but the other one is there and, hopefully, may draw more
      members as well as encouraging Phillip to show up as Yoshi-dono more often!

      Kiri
    • Solveig
      Message 39 of 39 , May 8 7:01 PM
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solveig!
        >Well, I did find one reference dated to 1224: "Hayashi Taro Koredono".
        Truly spiffy. Where di dyou find it?

        | trash by my email filters. |