[SCA-JML] Re: Qurey on Book - followup (OOP

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 11:04 PM

      Greetings from Solveig! Well, Japanese used bookstores are appearing
      online these days.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • sean_somers2002
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 10:21 AM
        > Greetings from Solveig! Well, Japanese used bookstores are appearing
        > online these days.

        Well, if you know of a good source, don't be holding back - pass along
        the link!

        From what I've seen, they mostly carry manga.
      • sean_somers2002
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 3:48 PM
          > Greetings from Solveig! On the subject of book queries. If you are
          > interested in a recent work on the lives of women in Heian Japan, you
          > may want to check out the following book:
          >
          > ISBN: 4-09-626132-7

          _Heian-chou Onna no Ikikata_? Probably would help if you were to give
          us the title with the recommendation.

          What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
          this one in particular?
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2 5:08 PM

            >What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
            >this one in particular?

            The book is recent, as I recall a full sized book, and has a title
            which shouts that it is a book about "ordinary life history" for a
            time period that interests some of the people who belong to this
            mailing list. As I recall, it is published by Shogakukan which is a
            respectable publisher. As for giving the title, I've generally found
            ISBN's to be more reliable references for people.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2 5:35 PM

              >What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
              >this one in particular?

              The book is recent, as I recall a full sized book, and has a title
              which shouts that it is a book about "ordinary life history" for a
              time period that interests some of the people who belong to this
              mailing list. As I recall, it is published by Shogakukan which is a
              respectable publisher. As for giving the title, I've generally found
              ISBN's to be more reliable references for people.

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • michelle0097217
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3 8:11 AM
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sluss1951@a... wrote:
                > Looking for information on this book / as where to buy ? Shumi no
                Sukashi
                > Tsuba / Kogatana Sakuri - Naruki Kazuhiko, Nakata Kanehide, etc.

                I have found that Googling the title in Japanese sometimes will get
                some hits, even ones from a bookstore.

                Good luck!

                Thessaliad
              • sean_somers2002
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3 10:36 AM
                  > I have found that Googling the title in Japanese sometimes will get
                  > some hits, even ones from a bookstore.

                  And one more additional option: you can try buyubooks.com (you
                  probably have already, but I mention them just in case). Their
                  specialities fit in with exactly this type of book. They're not a
                  'used' bookshop, but they do carry a reasonable number of shinkohon
                  that would otherwise not be available through places like Kinokuniya.

                  Send them an email: they have a network of shops in Japan with whom
                  they deal with, and can make enquiries. So, if a shop does have it in
                  Japan - but are loath to make international sales (you have to get the
                  katakana conversion of a western name dead on from your North American
                  credit card) - they will act as an intermediary and get it.

                  It's a bit of a beaten docket, but try it.