Re: Qurey on Book - followup (OOP

  • sean_somers2002
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2005
      I found the book on e-hon: here's the link -
      http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?refShinCode=
      0100000000000001117112&Action_id=121&Sza_id=HH

      Unfortunately, it's out of print, which means - as I know all too well
      from terrible experience - that it will be extremely difficult to get
      without taking a holiday overseas. Maybe someone on the list has a
      copy and can do something.

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sluss1951@a... wrote:
      > > Looking for information on this book / as where to buy ? Shumi no Sukashi
      > > Tsuba / Kogatana Sakuri - Naruki Kazuhiko, Nakata Kanehide, etc.
      > > This books is quite interesting book showing the way to make Sukashi tsuba,
      > > Kozuka, and the how to polish it. Many professional experts wrote
      each
    • Sluss1951@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        Thanks for the input - Thank You, Conley

      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2005

          Greetings from Solveig! On the subject of book queries. If you are
          interested in a recent work on the lives of women in Heian Japan, you
          may want to check out the following book:

          ISBN: 4-09-626132-7

          | trash by my email filters. |
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2005

            Greetings from Solveig! Well, Japanese used bookstores are appearing
            online these days.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • sean_somers2002
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2005
              > Greetings from Solveig! Well, Japanese used bookstores are appearing
              > online these days.

              Well, if you know of a good source, don't be holding back - pass along
              the link!

              From what I've seen, they mostly carry manga.
            • sean_somers2002
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                > Greetings from Solveig! On the subject of book queries. If you are
                > interested in a recent work on the lives of women in Heian Japan, you
                > may want to check out the following book:
                >
                > ISBN: 4-09-626132-7

                _Heian-chou Onna no Ikikata_? Probably would help if you were to give
                us the title with the recommendation.

                What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
                this one in particular?
              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2005

                  >What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
                  >this one in particular?

                  The book is recent, as I recall a full sized book, and has a title
                  which shouts that it is a book about "ordinary life history" for a
                  time period that interests some of the people who belong to this
                  mailing list. As I recall, it is published by Shogakukan which is a
                  respectable publisher. As for giving the title, I've generally found
                  ISBN's to be more reliable references for people.

                  | trash by my email filters. |
                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2005

                    >What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
                    >this one in particular?

                    The book is recent, as I recall a full sized book, and has a title
                    which shouts that it is a book about "ordinary life history" for a
                    time period that interests some of the people who belong to this
                    mailing list. As I recall, it is published by Shogakukan which is a
                    respectable publisher. As for giving the title, I've generally found
                    ISBN's to be more reliable references for people.

                    | trash by my email filters. |
                  • michelle0097217
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sluss1951@a... wrote:
                      > Looking for information on this book / as where to buy ? Shumi no
                      Sukashi
                      > Tsuba / Kogatana Sakuri - Naruki Kazuhiko, Nakata Kanehide, etc.

                      I have found that Googling the title in Japanese sometimes will get
                      some hits, even ones from a bookstore.

                      Good luck!

                      Thessaliad
                    • sean_somers2002
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                        > I have found that Googling the title in Japanese sometimes will get
                        > some hits, even ones from a bookstore.

                        And one more additional option: you can try buyubooks.com (you
                        probably have already, but I mention them just in case). Their
                        specialities fit in with exactly this type of book. They're not a
                        'used' bookshop, but they do carry a reasonable number of shinkohon
                        that would otherwise not be available through places like Kinokuniya.

                        Send them an email: they have a network of shops in Japan with whom
                        they deal with, and can make enquiries. So, if a shop does have it in
                        Japan - but are loath to make international sales (you have to get the
                        katakana conversion of a western name dead on from your North American
                        credit card) - they will act as an intermediary and get it.

                        It's a bit of a beaten docket, but try it.