Re: kitsune's wedding and various

  • sean_somers2002
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005

      > >In English, I like _Japanese Tales_ ed.+tr. Royall Tyler, who is a
      > >competent translator of the nou drama.
      > >
      > Yes it's great!

      Yeah, I thought it was really nicely done - varied, scholarly without
      being dry, a great single volume book. I also really enjoyed _Ghosts
      and the Japanese_ by Iwasaka Michiko and Barre Toelken. Now, this
      book is meant to be a 'sociological' kind of book . . . you know the
      type, someone's trying to combine their spooky, ocultic interests with
      something academic enough to get noticed on a CV, but it works in this
      case in providing an imaginative, but analytical, study on the
      subject. It's great because not only providing legends etc it details
      cultural *attitudes* (ie: ritual observations, superstitions, etc), so
      you get a sense of how the folklore plays out in daily life, and not
      in the ruthlessly idealised fashion of the 'Orient' that most
      westerners succumb to.