Re: Re: kitsune's wedding and various

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2005
      sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > From: "sean_somers2002" <sean_somers2002@...>
      >

      >>Any that you found that are really a knockout? I've read most of Hearn
      >>

      >In English, I like _Japanese Tales_ ed.+tr. Royall Tyler, who is a
      >competent translator of the nou drama.

      Yes it's great!

      >But I just finished vol. one of _Akutagawa Ryuunosuke sakuhin
      >ronshuusei_, which contains no less than six essays on Akutagawa's use
      >of classical folklore and literature in his short stories . . . goes
      >to show how much the old literary style/themes pervade the modern and
      >post-modern etc. Even an anime primetimer like 'Inuyasha', this
      >strange continuation with koten.

      In English most stuff is cribbed from Shakespeare ;)

      Thanks,
      Jim Eckman
    • sean_somers2002
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005

        > >In English, I like _Japanese Tales_ ed.+tr. Royall Tyler, who is a
        > >competent translator of the nou drama.
        > >
        > Yes it's great!

        Yeah, I thought it was really nicely done - varied, scholarly without
        being dry, a great single volume book. I also really enjoyed _Ghosts
        and the Japanese_ by Iwasaka Michiko and Barre Toelken. Now, this
        book is meant to be a 'sociological' kind of book . . . you know the
        type, someone's trying to combine their spooky, ocultic interests with
        something academic enough to get noticed on a CV, but it works in this
        case in providing an imaginative, but analytical, study on the
        subject. It's great because not only providing legends etc it details
        cultural *attitudes* (ie: ritual observations, superstitions, etc), so
        you get a sense of how the folklore plays out in daily life, and not
        in the ruthlessly idealised fashion of the 'Orient' that most
        westerners succumb to.