Qurey on Book -

  • Sluss1951@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2005
      Looking for information on this book / as where to buy ? Shumi no Sukashi
      Tsuba / Kogatana Sakuri - Naruki Kazuhiko, Nakata Kanehide, etc.
      This books is quite interesting book showing the way to make Sukashi tsuba,
      Kozuka, and the how to polish it. Many professional experts wrote each
      chapters and Tokuno Kazuo and the famous 2MY Gendaito smith, Nakata Kanehide joined
      to write chapters for Kozuka making. There are many photos and Kozuka price
      list and Tsuba makers' value are listed well. Book is in excellent condition.
      15.5cm x 21.5cm, Printed in 1980, 166 pages / like to find this information
      in English also any How to Links - Thank You, Conley
      _http://www.jpsword.com/files/tsukashi.JPG_ (http://www.jpsword.com/files/tsukashi.JPG)

    • sean_somers2002
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        The first thing you will want to do is go to e-hon (www.e-hon.ne.jp)
        and ensure that this book is still in print. Once you get all of the
        information (publisher, etc) from my experience you have three options
        for getting a speciality book like this:

        (1) go to Japan
        (2) contact a major Japanese bookshop in North America like
        Kinokuniya. I am fortunate to have one in my city and I do all of my
        special orders through them. I know that they will post a book to
        anywhere in the US . . . so, even if you live physically far from a
        shop, you can make arrangements over the phone and they will send it
        to you. The costs will be, of course, a bit high, as places like
        Kinokuniya do *not* do flat exchange on the yen. Instead, they have a
        'factored' exchange, where their costs (shipping, customs, service,
        etc) get factored.
        (3) If your Japanese is up to it, you can order through Amazon.co.jp.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2005
          I found the book on e-hon: here's the link -
          http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?refShinCode=
          0100000000000001117112&Action_id=121&Sza_id=HH

          Unfortunately, it's out of print, which means - as I know all too well
          from terrible experience - that it will be extremely difficult to get
          without taking a holiday overseas. Maybe someone on the list has a
          copy and can do something.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2005
            Thanks for the input - Thank You, Conley

          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2005
              Noble Cousins!

              Greetings from Solveig! On the subject of book queries. If you are
              interested in a recent work on the lives of women in Heian Japan, you
              may want to check out the following book:

              ISBN: 4-09-626132-7

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2005
                Noble Cousins!

                Greetings from Solveig! Well, Japanese used bookstores are appearing
                online these days.

                | trash by my email filters. |
              • sean_somers2002
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                  > Greetings from Solveig! Well, Japanese used bookstores are appearing
                  > online these days.

                  Well, if you know of a good source, don't be holding back - pass along
                  the link!

                  From what I've seen, they mostly carry manga.
                • sean_somers2002
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                    > Greetings from Solveig! On the subject of book queries. If you are
                    > interested in a recent work on the lives of women in Heian Japan, you
                    > may want to check out the following book:
                    >
                    > ISBN: 4-09-626132-7

                    _Heian-chou Onna no Ikikata_? Probably would help if you were to give
                    us the title with the recommendation.

                    What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
                    this one in particular?
                  • Solveig
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2005

                      >What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
                      >this one in particular?

                      The book is recent, as I recall a full sized book, and has a title
                      which shouts that it is a book about "ordinary life history" for a
                      time period that interests some of the people who belong to this
                      mailing list. As I recall, it is published by Shogakukan which is a
                      respectable publisher. As for giving the title, I've generally found
                      ISBN's to be more reliable references for people.

                      | trash by my email filters. |
                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2005

                        >What are your thoughts on it? Any particular reason for recommending
                        >this one in particular?

                        The book is recent, as I recall a full sized book, and has a title
                        which shouts that it is a book about "ordinary life history" for a
                        time period that interests some of the people who belong to this
                        mailing list. As I recall, it is published by Shogakukan which is a
                        respectable publisher. As for giving the title, I've generally found
                        ISBN's to be more reliable references for people.

                        | trash by my email filters. |
                      • michelle0097217
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sluss1951@a... wrote:
                          > Looking for information on this book / as where to buy ? Shumi no
                          Sukashi
                          > Tsuba / Kogatana Sakuri - Naruki Kazuhiko, Nakata Kanehide, etc.

                          I have found that Googling the title in Japanese sometimes will get
                          some hits, even ones from a bookstore.

                          Good luck!

                          Thessaliad
                        • sean_somers2002
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 3, 2005
                            > I have found that Googling the title in Japanese sometimes will get
                            > some hits, even ones from a bookstore.

                            And one more additional option: you can try buyubooks.com (you
                            probably have already, but I mention them just in case). Their
                            specialities fit in with exactly this type of book. They're not a
                            'used' bookshop, but they do carry a reasonable number of shinkohon
                            that would otherwise not be available through places like Kinokuniya.

                            Send them an email: they have a network of shops in Japan with whom
                            they deal with, and can make enquiries. So, if a shop does have it in
                            Japan - but are loath to make international sales (you have to get the
                            katakana conversion of a western name dead on from your North American
                            credit card) - they will act as an intermediary and get it.

                            It's a bit of a beaten docket, but try it.