Workshop

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2005
      Cross post from AA:
      Below is from Ulfbert the Lesser (mka Doug Ayen). Contact him at ayen@... for more information.

      Coming up, I'll be hosting my first open workshop of 2005: Hamons and Tantos.

      Who: The first 8 people to pre-register
      What: A workshop on creating a Japanese-style hamon on a tanto blade
      Where: My workshop in Berryville, VA
      When: May 14, starting at noon.

      I will provide pre-ground blades, workshop attendees will apply a clay coating and heat treat the tantos to deveop a hamon (temper line). Instruction and materials will also be provided to the attendees on how to polish and develop the hamon.

      All interested are welcome to attend. I am asking a $20 fee to cover materials. Hey, you're getting a tanto blade out of the deal, not to mention propane use, sandpaper, and other materials as needed. If you're just interested in watching, feel free to just show up.

      If interested, please let me know. RSVPs will be used in order received.

      --doug

    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19, 2005
        As a plug, Lord Ulfbert is a good guy, with a good foundation in
        metalworking and always willing to share. I have been quite impressed
        with some of his projects, especially one of the Viking knives he did
        from scratch. He's been working a lot with getting the clay and
        quench on his pieces (I believe that these are all of the ones he's
        been working on to practice getting it done right).

        -Ii