Re: Reference Material

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4 10:37 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Maria <tace@m...> wrote:
      > Actually, I was under the impression that was just for the members of
      > that household? (Although I did see a book on there I wanted to know
      > more about, that belongs to Date-dono, about the IRoHa poem...).

      Doesn't mean you can't go looking for this stuff in the library though.
      ;->

      I am getting so spoiled between the wonderful used bookstores in
      Berkeley and Kinokuniya over in SF.....

      Makiwara
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4 10:47 PM

        >I am getting so spoiled between the wonderful used bookstores in
        >Berkeley and Kinokuniya over in SF.....

        Unless it is a lot bigger than the one in New Jersey, the SF
        Kinokuniya is probalby of less interest that Moe's. Now Moe's is a
        store that I want real access to. They supposably have emaki and such
        like for sale. I will of course admit that it is sometimes more
        efficient to wander the aisles of Kinokunia fondling the books than
        searching for them on Amazon. Basically, physical contact increases
        the chances of serendipity striking.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • Donald Luby
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4 11:30 PM
          On Apr 5, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Maria wrote:

          > Solveig wrote:
          >
          >> Noble Cousin!
          >>
          >> Greetings from Solveig!
          >>
          >>> Actually, the Yama Kaminari folks have started one at their website
          >>> which may be of use. Scroll through the menu at the left for
          >>> "Library"
          >>> at http://www.yamakaminari.com/
          >>
          >> Date dono hasn't posted the partial list of my collection which I
          >> sent him a while back.
          >
          > Actually, I was under the impression that was just for the members of
          > that household?

          No, I'm pretty sure anything that's publicly accessible (i.e. not
          requiring a password to access) is supposed to be, well, accessible to
          the general public - that goes for the library, the how-to sections,
          &c. I'm sure that if I'm incorrect on this, Date will happily correct
          me (and then I will show him some 'correction' on Saturday to return
          the favor :)

          > (Although I did see a book on there I wanted to know
          > more about, that belongs to Date-dono, about the IRoHa poem...).
          >
          > But! I am glad there is some kind of bibliography up somewhere (I know
          > there's a couple of older ones in the files here, as well). Less
          > typing
          > for me! Yay! (I have a number of Japanese-topic books, although not as
          > many as some folks here. ;-D)
          >
          > Writing from my home overlooking Great River, with some excellent plum
          > wine at hand,
          >
          > Ki no Torahime

          Sir Koredono
          Yama Kaminari
        • Maria
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5 4:49 AM
            makiwara_no_yetsuko wrote:

            > I am getting so spoiled between the wonderful used bookstores in
            > Berkeley and Kinokuniya over in SF.....

            And don't it make my blue eyes green? *Hides behind fan, squirms with
            jealousy*

            Most of the books I've obtained, I found used on the internet or on my
            rare road-trips to Chicago, Minneapolis or Des Moines. It's so much more
            FUN to be able to walk around a bookstore and see the books and actually
            get to hold them! *loves books*

            You are so fortunate, Makiwara-dono! I'm still getting over envying you
            for the kabuki thing... ;-D

            --Ki no Torahime

            Living in the provinces can be so trying... ;_;
          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5 8:31 PM
              > Unless it is a lot bigger than the one in New Jersey, the SF
              > Kinokuniya is probalby of less interest that Moe's. Now Moe's is a
              > store that I want real access to.

              http://www.moesbooks.com/cgi-bin/moe/

              I only ever went into the 4th floor rare books section once, opened
              one exquisite, slipcased volume, sighed and put it back onto its
              shelf. I can't afford it.
              However, I've gotten lots of great used books from their regular sale
              floor, particularly art books.

              Makiwara
            • Dean Wayland
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 8 10:04 AM
                Greetings All,

                My local town council has decided to organise a "big read", wherein
                everybody in town reads the same title, and then takes part in themed
                events over the coming year.

                Now because the selected book has a pseudo-Japanese theme, they are
                doing a lot of Japanese related events, and so I and my merry bunch have
                volunteered to take part.

                Okay, the book...

                "Across The Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn

                Now I haven't read it myself, and I know its not history, being marketed
                as fantasy, but as I will probably have to settle down and work my way
                through, I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for. Is it okay,
                merely harmless fun, do I have to take my brain out before reading it,
                will it drive the authenticity nazi in me up the wall, or can it be
                taken on its own level as a good read, or what?

                Anyway opinions welcome.

                Yours

                Dean
                ***
                Dean Wayland
                Head Of The Fight School
                http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 8 4:51 PM
                  Dean Wayland wrote:

                  > Greetings All,
                  >
                  > My local town council has decided to organise a "big read", wherein
                  > everybody in town reads the same title, and then takes part in themed
                  > events over the coming year.
                  >
                  > Now because the selected book has a pseudo-Japanese theme, they are
                  > doing a lot of Japanese related events, and so I and my merry bunch have
                  > volunteered to take part.
                  >
                  > Okay, the book...
                  >
                  > "Across The Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn
                  >
                  > Now I haven't read it myself, and I know its not history, being marketed
                  > as fantasy, but as I will probably have to settle down and work my way
                  > through, I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for. Is it okay,
                  > merely harmless fun, do I have to take my brain out before reading it,
                  > will it drive the authenticity nazi in me up the wall, or can it be
                  > taken on its own level as a good read, or what?
                  >
                  > Anyway opinions welcome.
                  >
                  > Yours
                  >
                  > Dean
                  > ***
                  > Dean Wayland

                  I read the first book about a year or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
                  It is fantasy, but very well-done, IMHO. I thought it was so well done
                  that it possibly could be misconstrued by some as being historical! I
                  keep meaning to look up the other books in the series and keep
                  forgetting...thanks for reminding me!

                  Kiri
                • Dean Wayland
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 9 10:30 AM
                    Kiri-hime,

                    > I read the first book about a year or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed
                    > it.
                    > It is fantasy, but very well-done, IMHO.  I thought it was so well
                    > done
                    > that it possibly could be misconstrued by some as being
                    > historical!  I
                    > keep meaning to look up the other books in the series and keep
                    > forgetting...thanks for reminding me!
                    >
                    > Kiri

                    Cheers for that, my other half picked up a copy in London yesterday,
                    "and so..., it begins"

                    Yours

                    Dean
                    ***