Re: [SCA-JML] SCA Legal Tsuba?

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      *chuckling*

      I made one out of a 4 ft length of Rattan, complete
      with clackers made from an old sword that got broken
      one time. I took it to Estrella 2 -3 years ago at the
      new/old site.. heeh The Marshalls took one look at it
      and went, "That is a violent work of art!"

      Those that fought with me said, "We're glad you're on
      OUR side.. WE don't want to get hit with that!"
      It barely passed the legal weight limit for a great
      weapon at GWW, but hey, it made a difference. I need
      to get a pic of that up in my picture area. Is good
      boom boom stick!

      Qara
      --- Kita Jiru Toramassa <toramassa@...> wrote:
      > Well I made one of them using this stuff too. Now if
      > you had read it
      > as Tubas we would have issues.
      >
      > On Apr 4, 2005 11:21 PM, Diane Taylor
      > <qara0@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > My brain was reading that as Tetsubo... *sigh* Not
      > > enough coffee. Me bad.
      > >
      > > Qara
      > >
      > > Keep in touch,
      > >
      > > Diane Taylor
      > > http://dianet8.tripod.com
      > >
      > > Poseidon's Heart: Available now at Triskelion
      > Publication
      > > The Montegard Files: Shadow Demon - Available now
      > at Triskelion Publishing

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > "You know, I used to think it was awful that life
      > was so unfair. Then I
      > thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were
      > fair, and all the terrible
      > things that happen to us come becuase we actually
      > deserve them? So, now I
      > take great comfort in the general hostility and
      > unfairness of the universe."
      > -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5
      >
      > John Lyon
      > aka The Ugly Dragon
      > aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

      Keep in touch,

      Diane Taylor
      http://dianet8.tripod.com

      Poseidon's Heart: Available now at Triskelion Publication
      The Montegard Files: Shadow Demon - Available now at Triskelion Publishing

      Make Yahoo! your home page
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Donald Luby
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
        On Apr 4, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Dave Jones wrote:

        > Any one have any suggestions on making a SCA Legal Tsuba and thoughts
        > on best type of hand protection?

        All of my tsuba are made of sole leather, vaguely ovoid (much like the
        rattan weapon itself), about the size of my gauntleted hand holding the
        rattan (perhaps up to 1/2" bigger, but no more), with a hole cut
        through it just large enough for the rattan to fit through. I then
        wrap the rattan on either side of the tsuba with half-width of duct
        tape until it's about 1/4" thick, so the tsuba stays in place. I
        suppose you could use plastic to do the same thing, but if you do, I'd
        recommend thick barrel plastic (like 55 gal barrel plastic), because
        it's not going to shatter like ABS or Kydex would and leave sharp edges
        (always round off your edges with heat and/or a belt/disc sander), and
        is thick enough to absorb any significant impacts.

        You can also make tsuba out of steel - I've seen a variety of designs,
        ranging from welded bar stock (not too dissimilar to basket hilts) to
        solid pieces of milled steel or brass. The things you want to be
        especially careful about with these designs are that they be at least
        3/16" in cross-section (same thickness as visor bar stock), do not
        extend more than 1/2" beyond the armored hands when held, and have no
        sharp edges or corners; some marshals get very concerned about the
        possibility of a tsuba going through a helmet grill and hitting a
        combattant in the face, and if a tsuba is less than 1 1/4" in
        cross-section, they're going to want to make sure that when held, the
        tsuba will no pass through a face guard any more than a standard
        thrusting tip could.

        For hand protection, gauntlets; I've fought in hockey gloves, lacrosse
        gloves, both of the previous with plates of steel, thick leather, and
        thick plastic, jerry-rigged onto to them, and my hands always got
        injured, eventually. If you plan on fighting in gauntlets regularly
        and often, make sure they're good gauntlets; maybe it's just me, but
        steel gauntlets, both mild and stainless, eventually flatten out and
        cease to bridge after less than a year. I've been using Kydex
        gauntlets from E.G.G. Armory for more than a decade, and once they were
        strapped and padded properly (I wear just street hockey gloves in
        mine), have not had any significant issues. Eventually, they do fail
        (I'm on my second pair right now, having worn the first pair for
        probably 7 - 8 years of fighting 70 - 100 times a year), but since
        they're not terribly expensive (I think he charges $110 for unstrapped,
        ungloved gauntlets these days), and usually hands don't get injured by
        the singular blow that causes the failure, I think it's a good deal; he
        also will *give* you some replacement plates, should they break - I did
        that a couple of times, 'til I felt I should just support his good work
        and buy another pair. You could try and make them yourself, out of
        plastic or leather, but I've known good armorers who've tried, seeing a
        market, and even with a pair of his to use as a template, still can't
        make as good a product as E.G.G. does, so making something like this
        yourself will probably turn out even worse. No, I'm not good friends
        with him, or get a discount for advertising; I just think he makes a
        good product at a reasonable price, that doesn't look obtrusively
        modern (they're flat black Kydex, though he also sells some that have
        been covered in nice glove leather for looks at an extra cost), and
        would like him to keep making them at least 'til I need *another* pair
        :)

        Now, if you want to spend *real* money, you can get very nice
        gauntlets, say of 20 - 22 gauge hardened spring steel, for $500 - $600,
        and they'll protect even better, and look real nice, and weigh hardly
        anything; or if you can spend a *lot* of money ($1000+), there's always
        titanium finger gauntlets, which protect even better, weigh even less,
        and be the object of much envy from your fellow fighters.

        > Thanks
        > Kagetaka

        Sir Koredono
      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Jones" <irish_65@y...> wrote:

          > Any one have any suggestions on making a SCA Legal Tsuba and thoughts
          > on best type of hand protection?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Kagetaka

          I prefer the use of thick barrel plastic. I use round tsuba for SCA
          weapons. I drill a round hole in the tsuba that is slightly smaller
          than the diameter of my rattan and then use a 1/8" drill to drill a
          ring of small circles around the inner hole. This allows the inner
          circumference of the tsuba to the compress to the shape of the rattan
          and I don't have to drill, cut, or shave any special shapes into the
          rattan or tsuba to mount it.

          Our Knight Marshall prefers to make a tsuba using three layers of
          plastic riveted together for a thickness slightly greater than 1". He
          makes his tsuba with four 'lobes' (much like the plastic ones that
          come with some bokken).

          I have never had a marshal complain about the thin-ness of my tsuba
          but have heard that some marshals in some places do care. I have been
          experimenting with edging the tsuba in various ways but have not yet
          developed a preferred method.

          Otagiri
        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2005
            On Apr 5, 2005 11:21 AM, Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Jones" <irish_65@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Any one have any suggestions on making a SCA Legal Tsuba and thoughts
            > > on best type of hand protection?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Kagetaka

            I've also wondered about rawhide--I have a bokuto for Shindo Muso Ryu
            that has a really heavy rawhide tsuba. My fear is that it would be
            considered too thin. Also, it probably would need something to help
            it stand up to constant beating.

            -Ii
          • John Mooers
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2005
              I use a "oreo cookie" style tsuba. The outer layers are either ABS plastic or aluminium with the chewy center being close cell foam. The whole is bound together with tape. Never had a marshal mention it being a problem...even in the Midrealm...and it doesn't change the balance of the stick one bit.

              Toshinobu