Re: [SCA-JML] Ranks and Personae

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
      On Apr 3, 2005 8:06 AM, sigrune@... <sigrune@...> wrote:

      > Why this way should be ok and won't ruffle feathers, is that even among the
      > most well versed of us here, I doubt there is more than 3 people that could
      > hear a name and tell you the corresponding rank. 95% or more of SCA people
      > will have no clue what you are talking about and just nod their heads and
      > say, "ahh". In this manner you will not offend or be presuptuous.
      >
      > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend
      > and mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
      > The original is here:
      > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/index.php
      > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.

      Nope, it is actually the other way around, I believe. We have used
      that chart, along with other sources, to compile one that we could
      read, along with other information such as the pronunciations, etc.
      The formatting in Excel was done by Abe no Kotori. The actual
      provenance is given at the bottom of the chart.

      I'd love to take credit for it beyond that, but can't. I plan to do
      more work to break out the upper and lower as well as senior and
      junior, once I get a chance.
      The accompanying 'Rank and Postion' list
      (http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/documentation/Rank-Position.doc)
      is what we really added, with a list of positions arranged by rank, so
      that if you are X rank you can figure out what you would do.

      -Ii
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! Actually, the daughters of the lower kuge
        were rather prolific writers. Don't fret about descending from the
        lower kuge, you get to write wonderful diaries and novels complaining
        about being posted to the provinces and other stuff. You can talk
        about how you hope that your father will be promoted, you can talk
        about how your father will be appointed to office, you can talk about
        that attractivce captain of the gate guards, but how your father
        wants you to marry someone of higher rank.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005

          >That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say
          >"my father, Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of
          >(insert obscure bureau here)"
          >In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with
          >you, they brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does
          >to see how upwardly (or downwardly) mobile your family is and also
          >weither you are of the right, or the left.
          >By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

          The point is very well taken. Basically, if you claim that your
          father is sixth rank or lower, you are safe as that while that sort
          of rank makes you elligible for service, it doesn't automatically
          give you much above rank nine which is the bottom of the kuge. It
          also makes your father eligible for service as a minor provinical
          governor or much more adventurously as a deputy governor. The deputy
          governors were much more likely to be stuck with the job of actually
          living in the provinces which allows you to be living someplace other
          than Heiankyou.

          | trash by my email filters. |