Re: Ranks and Personae

  • booknerd9
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@a... wrote:
      > That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say "my father,
      Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of (insert obscure bureau
      here)"
      > In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with you, they
      brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does to see how upwardly (or
      downwardly) mobile your family is and also weither you are of the right, or the left.
      > By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

      > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend and
      mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
      > The original is here: http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/
      index.php
      > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.
      >
      > -Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa

      Wow! That chart is really nifty and quite easy to navigate, the one online is terribly
      hard to read unless you have a dual monitor set-up or something. (: Thank you.
    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
        On Apr 3, 2005 8:06 AM, sigrune@... <sigrune@...> wrote:

        > Why this way should be ok and won't ruffle feathers, is that even among the
        > most well versed of us here, I doubt there is more than 3 people that could
        > hear a name and tell you the corresponding rank. 95% or more of SCA people
        > will have no clue what you are talking about and just nod their heads and
        > say, "ahh". In this manner you will not offend or be presuptuous.
        >
        > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend
        > and mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
        > The original is here:
        > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/index.php
        > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.

        Nope, it is actually the other way around, I believe. We have used
        that chart, along with other sources, to compile one that we could
        read, along with other information such as the pronunciations, etc.
        The formatting in Excel was done by Abe no Kotori. The actual
        provenance is given at the bottom of the chart.

        I'd love to take credit for it beyond that, but can't. I plan to do
        more work to break out the upper and lower as well as senior and
        junior, once I get a chance.
        The accompanying 'Rank and Postion' list
        (http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/documentation/Rank-Position.doc)
        is what we really added, with a list of positions arranged by rank, so
        that if you are X rank you can figure out what you would do.

        -Ii
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005

          Greetings from Solveig! Actually, the daughters of the lower kuge
          were rather prolific writers. Don't fret about descending from the
          lower kuge, you get to write wonderful diaries and novels complaining
          about being posted to the provinces and other stuff. You can talk
          about how you hope that your father will be promoted, you can talk
          about how your father will be appointed to office, you can talk about
          that attractivce captain of the gate guards, but how your father
          wants you to marry someone of higher rank.

          | trash by my email filters. |
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005

            >That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say
            >"my father, Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of
            >(insert obscure bureau here)"
            >In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with
            >you, they brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does
            >to see how upwardly (or downwardly) mobile your family is and also
            >weither you are of the right, or the left.
            >By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

            The point is very well taken. Basically, if you claim that your
            father is sixth rank or lower, you are safe as that while that sort
            of rank makes you elligible for service, it doesn't automatically
            give you much above rank nine which is the bottom of the kuge. It
            also makes your father eligible for service as a minor provinical
            governor or much more adventurously as a deputy governor. The deputy
            governors were much more likely to be stuck with the job of actually
            living in the provinces which allows you to be living someplace other
            than Heiankyou.

            | trash by my email filters. |