Re: Ranks and Personae

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "booknerd9" <Booknerd9@y...> wrote:
      > To write that daddy is such and such rank
      > seems a bit .... even though it'll never come up.

      Nobody's ever asked me yet. ;->

      M.
    • booknerd9
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@a... wrote:
        > That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say "my father,
        Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of (insert obscure bureau
        here)"
        > In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with you, they
        brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does to see how upwardly (or
        downwardly) mobile your family is and also weither you are of the right, or the left.
        > By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

        > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend and
        mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
        > The original is here: http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/
        index.php
        > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.
        >
        > -Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa

        Wow! That chart is really nifty and quite easy to navigate, the one online is terribly
        hard to read unless you have a dual monitor set-up or something. (: Thank you.
      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
          On Apr 3, 2005 8:06 AM, sigrune@... <sigrune@...> wrote:

          > Why this way should be ok and won't ruffle feathers, is that even among the
          > most well versed of us here, I doubt there is more than 3 people that could
          > hear a name and tell you the corresponding rank. 95% or more of SCA people
          > will have no clue what you are talking about and just nod their heads and
          > say, "ahh". In this manner you will not offend or be presuptuous.
          >
          > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend
          > and mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
          > The original is here:
          > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/index.php
          > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.

          Nope, it is actually the other way around, I believe. We have used
          that chart, along with other sources, to compile one that we could
          read, along with other information such as the pronunciations, etc.
          The formatting in Excel was done by Abe no Kotori. The actual
          provenance is given at the bottom of the chart.

          I'd love to take credit for it beyond that, but can't. I plan to do
          more work to break out the upper and lower as well as senior and
          junior, once I get a chance.
          The accompanying 'Rank and Postion' list
          (http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/documentation/Rank-Position.doc)
          is what we really added, with a list of positions arranged by rank, so
          that if you are X rank you can figure out what you would do.

          -Ii
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005

            Greetings from Solveig! Actually, the daughters of the lower kuge
            were rather prolific writers. Don't fret about descending from the
            lower kuge, you get to write wonderful diaries and novels complaining
            about being posted to the provinces and other stuff. You can talk
            about how you hope that your father will be promoted, you can talk
            about how your father will be appointed to office, you can talk about
            that attractivce captain of the gate guards, but how your father
            wants you to marry someone of higher rank.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005

              >That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say
              >"my father, Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of
              >(insert obscure bureau here)"
              >In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with
              >you, they brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does
              >to see how upwardly (or downwardly) mobile your family is and also
              >weither you are of the right, or the left.
              >By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

              The point is very well taken. Basically, if you claim that your
              father is sixth rank or lower, you are safe as that while that sort
              of rank makes you elligible for service, it doesn't automatically
              give you much above rank nine which is the bottom of the kuge. It
              also makes your father eligible for service as a minor provinical
              governor or much more adventurously as a deputy governor. The deputy
              governors were much more likely to be stuck with the job of actually
              living in the provinces which allows you to be living someplace other
              than Heiankyou.

              | trash by my email filters. |