Re: [SCA-JML] Ranks and Personae

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
      Hello,

      Solvieg is quite right, rank is a touchy thing in the SCA and realy, well it should be. People work hard to advance, (not nessisarily their motivation, but hard work goes into what translates as rank,) and the awards are their reward for their dilligence, and often assistance to help others learn. To have someone falsly claim rank bellittles the honor bestowed on the intended.

      That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say "my father, Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of (insert obscure bureau here)"
      In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with you, they brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does to see how upwardly (or downwardly) mobile your family is and also weither you are of the right, or the left.
      By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

      Why this way should be ok and won't ruffle feathers, is that even among the most well versed of us here, I doubt there is more than 3 people that could hear a name and tell you the corresponding rank. 95% or more of SCA people will have no clue what you are talking about and just nod their heads and say, "ahh". In this manner you will not offend or be presuptuous.

      Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend and mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
      The original is here: http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/index.php
      follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.

      -Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "booknerd9" <Booknerd9@y...> wrote:
        > To write that daddy is such and such rank
        > seems a bit .... even though it'll never come up.

        Nobody's ever asked me yet. ;->

        M.
      • booknerd9
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@a... wrote:
          > That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say "my father,
          Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of (insert obscure bureau
          here)"
          > In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with you, they
          brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does to see how upwardly (or
          downwardly) mobile your family is and also weither you are of the right, or the left.
          > By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

          > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend and
          mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
          > The original is here: http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/
          index.php
          > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.
          >
          > -Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa

          Wow! That chart is really nifty and quite easy to navigate, the one online is terribly
          hard to read unless you have a dual monitor set-up or something. (: Thank you.
        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
            On Apr 3, 2005 8:06 AM, sigrune@... <sigrune@...> wrote:

            > Why this way should be ok and won't ruffle feathers, is that even among the
            > most well versed of us here, I doubt there is more than 3 people that could
            > hear a name and tell you the corresponding rank. 95% or more of SCA people
            > will have no clue what you are talking about and just nod their heads and
            > say, "ahh". In this manner you will not offend or be presuptuous.
            >
            > Also the chart you found on the albany.edu site, very interesting my friend
            > and mentor is the one who coded the original, might be a "pirate" copy.
            > The original is here:
            > http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/index.php
            > follow the link to the Ritsu-ryo Chart.

            Nope, it is actually the other way around, I believe. We have used
            that chart, along with other sources, to compile one that we could
            read, along with other information such as the pronunciations, etc.
            The formatting in Excel was done by Abe no Kotori. The actual
            provenance is given at the bottom of the chart.

            I'd love to take credit for it beyond that, but can't. I plan to do
            more work to break out the upper and lower as well as senior and
            junior, once I get a chance.
            The accompanying 'Rank and Postion' list
            (http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/JapaneseHistory/documentation/Rank-Position.doc)
            is what we really added, with a list of positions arranged by rank, so
            that if you are X rank you can figure out what you would do.

            -Ii
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! Actually, the daughters of the lower kuge
              were rather prolific writers. Don't fret about descending from the
              lower kuge, you get to write wonderful diaries and novels complaining
              about being posted to the provinces and other stuff. You can talk
              about how you hope that your father will be promoted, you can talk
              about how your father will be appointed to office, you can talk about
              that attractivce captain of the gate guards, but how your father
              wants you to marry someone of higher rank.

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2005

                >That being said, when you discuss your persona one could indeed say
                >"my father, Nani-nani-dono, is the Director/Advisor/Functionary of
                >(insert obscure bureau here)"
                >In a japanese context if a person is discussing your family with
                >you, they brobably want to know exactly what it is your father does
                >to see how upwardly (or downwardly) mobile your family is and also
                >weither you are of the right, or the left.
                >By stating the office of your father, you indicate by suggestion his rank.

                The point is very well taken. Basically, if you claim that your
                father is sixth rank or lower, you are safe as that while that sort
                of rank makes you elligible for service, it doesn't automatically
                give you much above rank nine which is the bottom of the kuge. It
                also makes your father eligible for service as a minor provinical
                governor or much more adventurously as a deputy governor. The deputy
                governors were much more likely to be stuck with the job of actually
                living in the provinces which allows you to be living someplace other
                than Heiankyou.

                | trash by my email filters. |