Re: [SCA-JML] Octopus Hands

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
      Date Dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      >I made a chart that hopefully people can cut and paste from, with
      >hiragana, katakana, and keyboard combinations on a Windows machine that
      >let you type those goofy vowels with macrons over them.

      I assume that you mean circumflex not macron.
      Circumflex belongs to most character sets, but
      macron does not. I believe that macrons may be
      available if you are using unicode. While unicode
      is built into recent operating systems, a lot of
      folks are still using pre-unicode operating
      systems. In deference to those with older
      software, I urge you not to macrons in email. You
      can embed them in pdf files all you want. Please
      use circumflex instead.

      On a macintosh, a circumflex is placed over a
      vowel by holding down the [option] and [i] keys
      and then after releasing them typing the letter.
      Thus, û is produced by simultaneously typing
      [option] and [i] followed by a [u]. (Note. The
      square brackets are there to make them look like
      key caps.)

      Thus, one can type â, ê, ii, ô, û and make
      Hepburn and all of those Anglo-American Japan
      scholars happy. They get quite petulent when you
      don't use Hepburn. However, the Japanese do not,
      in general, use Hepburn. Japanese mostly do
      "wapuro Japanese" at the moment. This makes
      Anglo-American Japan scholars go appoplectic, but
      they can pout all they like, the Japanese
      language does ultimately belong to the Japanese.
      (Incidentally, my professor at the University of
      Toronto once fumed about what he called "wapuro
      Japanese" about ten years ago, but he can not
      hold back the sea of Japanese usage.)

      I learned wapuro Japanese in Japan via using it
      to type Japanese into computers for various
      work-related and personal purposes. At the time,
      some entry systems were really difficult. Canon
      had one of the best and NEC one of the worst. My
      Sharp MZ-2500 had a system almost as good as the
      Canon system. Apple's kotoeri is somewhat similar
      to these sytems.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
        >> I think Kass is right. <snip>
        > You've probably guessed it wasn't saffron at all, but safflower,
        >> and the dye just wouldn't take at all on linen. It ended up a pale,
        > pale
        >> cream colour. The dye just washes out. What I don't know is if the
        > use of a
        >> mordant or another process would change that.
        >
        > If the Japanese used it as a source for yellow, I'm hoping that they
        > had a process to marry it to hemp, or did they use the alternative dye
        > plants, (kariyasu, kihada) to provide yellow?

        If I believe Kass' site, yellow was also obtained "from gardenia hulls and
        bark of the Amur cork tree". I don't know if any of those works on hemp, or
        cotton for that matter.
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005

          > From: "Date Saburou Yukiie" <kabuto@...> Again, the chart
          > is in UTF-8 coding, which should work for most people, and you can
          > reach it at: http://www.kabutographics.com in the projects section. If
          > needed, I will post alternate coded versions...but we should be
          > ok...UTF-8 is W3C compliant. Hope it is usefull.

          Interesting, but nowadays I never see Romaji with anything strange but
          dashes for long vowels sometimes. Several of my Japanese friends use
          English keyboards, so they type two characters, ka for the one kana. The
          few times they use Romaji, I think they just turn off the convert
          function! If your going to put goofy characters in e-mails, why not just
          send the actual kana? Or just do the wapuro thing and type your long
          vowels twice?

          P.S. For some reason, my UTF-8 font won't display macrons!

          > Subject: Re: Octopus Hands Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          >I assume that you mean circumflex not macron.
          >Circumflex belongs to most character sets, but
          >macron does not.

          Seems to be true, note above comment.

          >I believe that macrons may be available if you are using unicode. While unicode is built into recent operating systems, a lot of folks are still using pre-unicode operating systems.

          Windows ME, pre-unicode :( Makes Open office a bit tougher to use,
          though there is a new! DLL that's supposed to put Unicode compatibility
          on 98 and ME. If there's interest I can let you know how it comes out.

          >Thus, one can type â, ê, ii, ô, û and make
          >Hepburn and all of those Anglo-American Japan
          >scholars happy. They get quite petulent when you
          >don't use Hepburn. However, the Japanese do not,
          >in general, use Hepburn. Japanese mostly do
          >"wapuro Japanese" at the moment. This makes
          >Anglo-American Japan scholars go appoplectic, but
          >they can pout all they like, the Japanese
          >language does ultimately belong to the Japanese.

          I agree!!! Lucky I'm not in academia so I can ignore that silliness
          along with the 'official' Japanese method as well.

          >I learned wapuro Japanese in Japan via using it
          >to type Japanese into computers for various
          >work-related and personal purposes. At the time,
          >some entry systems were really difficult.

          Kindly put indeed, systems from hell come to mind. But then try to find
          a setting in Windows XP without using Google. Software people shouldn't
          be trusted with user interface design.

          Jim Eckman
        • Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
            James,
            Everything you and Solvieg said is true - I just am posting a
            possible resource for people to use in what ever documents they want,
            if they can find it useful.
            I do not use the special coding in e-mails, as e-mail clients tend to
            be the most unstable of critters - I use the Wapuro way.

            I also realize that there are many different codings, and your usage
            may vary, if even at all. Some people's browsers are not set up to
            read Japanese or unicode...others do not have fonts, etc. This I
            cannot help, of course.

            Personally, I love the Kotoeri that Mac uses - especially the new and
            elegant Panther OS...I like it much better than the Windows Japanese
            IME, which is functional at best, if set up right...and a bear if not.

            The pages I put up are a set of tools - that is all - not the be-all-
            end-all swiss army web pages of web pages...but perhaps even if one
            forgets a kana, or whaever...it is there to look at.

            I do a lot of work with Chinese also, and the extra characters with
            the goofies on top (copy-righted technical term) are useful there.
            Thus their inclusion.

            Take Care.
            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu

          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
              Date Dono!

              Greetings from Solveig!

              >Personally, I love the Kotoeri that Mac uses - especially the new and
              >elegant Panther OS...I like it much better than the Windows Japanese
              >IME, which is functional at best, if set up right...and a bear if not.

              I'm skipping a generation of MacOS. I am going directly from Jaguar
              to Tiger. Hmm. I just realized that I was born in the year of the
              tiger, so I guess that it makes sense that I would buy tiger.

              >I do a lot of work with Chinese also, and the extra characters with
              >the goofies on top (copy-righted technical term) are useful there.
              >Thus their inclusion.

              You can not copyright technical terms. You may be able to trademark
              them, but you can not copyright them. So just stick an (R) or (TM)
              after it, and tell us what it is called.

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 3, 2005
                > >I do a lot of work with Chinese also, and the extra characters with
                > >the goofies on top (copy-righted technical term) are useful there.
                > >Thus their inclusion.
                >
                > You can not copyright technical terms. You may be able to trademark
                > them, but you can not copyright them. So just stick an (R) or (TM)
                > after it, and tell us what it is called.
                > --
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar

                I just love you, Solveig! Glad you are on "Our Side!"

                Date

                (PS:With the amount of artwork I produce, you may be assured I know
                about copyright, and trademarking and such...I did not expect to get
                taken literally! :-) )