Swordfest, Malvern, PA

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 10:58 AM
      June 11 & 12 there is a free, non-SCA even in Malvern PA:

      http://www.mafcenter.com/swordfest2005.htm

      It is called 'Swordfest', and it is mainly two days of free demos in
      various bladed weapons. Last year I went, and we had many Japanese,
      and some Chinese arts. They are also looking for European
      contributors.

      I found the atmosphere to be very open and accepting. Please be aware
      that there are very little controls on the individuals demonstrating
      in terms of lineages, etc.--Some were highly traditional with clean
      lineages back to Japan or China, and others were less clear, or even a
      'new' ryuha. However, it still went extremely well, imho, and I would
      recommend it to anyone looking for something like this. It was a lot
      of fun, and I did learn a lot. Watch and learn, and then maybe do
      some research afterwards, if you want to be more clear on any given
      demonstration.

      -Ii/Joshua B.
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 12:48 PM

        Greetings from Solveig! My copy of Kagemusha arrived today. It is
        supposed to be enhanced for 16:9 televisions. So, if anyone nearby
        has one that I can borrow, please tell me. Regardless, it comes with
        a second disk of interviews with various people and a documentary on
        the making of the film. Glow! Glow! Glow! I am almost afraid to open
        the package for fear that the disks are damaged. Did I ever tell you
        that I rather like this film?

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 2:32 PM
          > I am almost afraid to open
          > the package for fear that the disks are damaged.

          Kinda makes it hard to watch the DVD that way, though. ;->

          M.