Headgear/Hat

  • Robert Andrade
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
      Greetings Noble Ladies and Sirs:

      I will attempt to answer the question as best I can.

      My persona; named Yoarashi no Keikentaka is from a Japanese Samurai
      family on the political fringe who has decided to travel and see the
      rest of the asian world (China, Korea etc...) thusly he found himself
      taking to life on the sea soon this lordless samurai finds himself the
      captain of a ship of multi-asian crewage. he still has strong ties to
      his heritage since; to him it is a way of life and not tied to a
      specific location. I decided to create a persona not from any specific
      period since what I am going for is more of an asian infusion into the
      Kingdom of AnTir. I realize that this might be unorthodox but for
      right now this lack of persona period allows me a particular amount of
      leeway. I know that I will probably have to deal with this issue at a
      later date and at that time I will. Hopefully I will have also learned
      more about Japanese history and culture so that I might be able to
      infuse what I learn.

      I hope that I don't offend any purists.

      Lady Makiwara:

      Thank you for providing me with that website.

      I hope that I have provided the right amount and kind of information to
      help.

      Thank you all for the help and any further help, thought, or opinions
      you might have which can further help me.

      Kei

      PS: Please forgive my caution however I have run across those who,
      instead of guiding and helping those of us who feel we have more to
      learn and want to learn decide to harass and belittle those who they
      feel are doing things 'wrong'. :)
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005

        Greetings from Solveig! Well, I suppose that I am probably guilty of
        harassment. It is pretty easy to harass I suppose. Regardless, I
        think the real issue is whether or not someone in trying to do things
        to the extent of their own knowledge and ability or is trying to
        thumb their nose at history and people who care about history. I've
        met both sorts in the Society.

        Regardless, you really are best advised to try to pick a specific
        period and a specific caste from japan at least for the purpose of
        costuming. If you want to be from the buke (military) caste, that is
        just fine. There were a lot of them and some of them even went on
        adventures. However, they generally wanted to be employed by someone
        or other. The other option was to be top bannana. One of them is even
        supposed to have taken over an Inochinese country sometime around the
        end of the sixteenth century.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Robert Andrade <robertandrade@b...> wrote:
          > My persona; named Yoarashi no Keikentaka is from a Japanese Samurai
          > family on the political fringe who has decided to travel and see the
          > rest of the asian world (China, Korea etc...) thusly he found himself
          > taking to life on the sea soon this lordless samurai finds himself the
          > captain of a ship of multi-asian crewage.

          Hmm, for trade or piracy? You might find this interesting:
          http://www.historycooperative.org/proceedings/seascapes/shapinsky.html

          > I realize that this might be unorthodox but for
          > right now this lack of persona period allows me a particular amount
          > of leeway.
          There's nothing wrong with that. Believe me, I not only surf
          timelines, but cultures as well. ;-> We've got a lot of folks on the
          list who are very knowledgeable and willing to share what they know.
          I'm always learning new stuff!

          Now, it's one thing to go, "Wow, cool hat." It's better to be able to
          have the RIGHT cool hat for a seafaring Japanese adventurer, no? From
          the description you posted of what you have in mind, I'd guess you can
          get by nicely with a provincial bushi sort of outfit: kosode & hakama,
          tabi, zori and a sando gasa like the ones at Bokunan-do, which has a
          somewhat flatter top than the monk hat you liked. The sando gasa is
          cheaper and you may be able to find it elsewhere if you don't want to
          ship one all the way from Japan. I've seen them for sale at Soko
          Hardware in San Francisco for about $40.

          (Guys? Anybody know of any variants for sailing types? Bueller-dono?)

          > PS: Please forgive my caution however I have run across those who,
          > instead of guiding and helping those of us who feel we have more to
          > learn and want to learn decide to harass and belittle those who >
          they feel are doing things 'wrong'. :)
          Yoarashi-dono, nobody starts out knowing it all and anybody who claims
          to Know Everything (TM) is lying. That having been said, kindly
          understand that this sort of thing goes both ways. Ever offer somebody
          help with something and then get blamed when something goes wrong
          because that person decided not to follow your advice? I'll be a
          grownup if you will, OK? ;->

          Makiwara
        • ekoogler1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2005
            My Lord,
            I don't think you'll find that attitude here. I've been "doing" Japanese for many years now, and I know I do stuff incorrectly...partly because I initially didn't know any better (when I started, about 25 years ago, there were very few Japanese in the SCA...and very little available in the way of documentation!) and some because of personal convenience/inconvenience. For example, I don't dye my hair or wear a wig...I have reddish brown long straight hair which i usually try to put into a somewhat period style. I don't wear white make up, blacken my teeth or paint on eyebrows. My "hakama" are 'way too short...I tried making them the proper length many years ago and almost broke my neck trying to walk in them. But no one here has ever given my any grief at all about any of this. And to make matters worse...I don't read or speak Japanese!! So they all have to translate stuff for me.

            So ask your questions, share your thoughts, etc. I feel certain that if someone disagrees with you, they'll let you know, but very politely...

            Kiri