Re: [SCA-JML] Japaneese headgear

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2005
      On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:51:27 -0500, Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:

      > Currently, Baron Edward's web site appears to be having difficulties.
      > In particular, the section on head gear for men is down at the
      > moment. However, there are folks around here such as Ii dono who can
      > probably help out. Since medieval Japanese signified various aspects
      > of rank, office, &c. by their headgear, I still think that it would
      > be good to discuss what sort of fellow is being portrayed.

      Agreed, WHO the headgear goes on (or at least, who they are at the
      time) is important.

      Kanmuri: This is formal male headgear. It changes over the years.
      When it first comes over to Japan, it is still a fabric hat that is
      tied on. It becomes a lacquered cap, and the position of the 'tails'
      changes. Later varieties are also tied on, especially for the bukan
      (military officials), which have additional 'blinders' added.

      Eboshi: This is the less formal male headgear. The tall 'shark-fin'
      variety are the tate-eboshi. You see these on kuge (noblemen) and
      appear to be simply stiffened, initially, and later lacquered. Later
      varieties are also tied on. There is a 'hiki-tate-eboshi', and
      various types of 'folded' eboshi, such as the various ori-eboshi of
      the samurai, kazaori-eboshi, etc. These all change on the situation,
      so knowing who is wearing it for what is helpful.