garb question

  • David Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2005
      This weekend i will be attempting my first try at making Japanese garb. I am using the pattern form this website,
      http://www.enter.net/~brewer/japanese/Jap123s.html

      So here are my questions,
      1, what is the eri for? Is it the collar piece mentioned in the instructions?
      2, for some reason i am not getting how to put the hakama together
      3, when putting this on does the kosode tuck into the hakama, or is it worn over it?

      Thanks,
      Cristen

    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2005
        Afternoon Cristen,

        >So here are my questions,
        >1, what is the eri for? Is it the collar piece mentioned in the instructions?

        The eri is the collar, think of it as jumbo width bias tape to provide a nice crips edge to the garment.

        >2, for some reason i am not getting how to put the hakama together
        There is quite a bit of folding that needs to be done, if you look in the files section of the SCA-JML site there are several patterns, I belive one of them is a pdf from baron effingham that shows the layout in good detail, however his version does not use shorter length "gores".

        >3, when putting this on does the kosode tuck into the hakama, or is it worn over it?
        Kosode are worn inside the hakama, think of them as a t-shirt.

        -Takeda Sanjuichiro
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, David Williams <gary7williams@y...> wrote:

          > So here are my questions,
          > 1, what is the eri for? Is it the collar piece mentioned in the
          instructions?

          Yes. Eri = collar.

          > 2, for some reason i am not getting how to put the hakama together

          http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japmake.htm has
          somewhat clearer instructions for hakama construction.

          > 3, when putting this on does the kosode tuck into the hakama [SNIP].
          Kosode goes on first. Hakama or nabagakama go on next. Any additional
          robes (hitoe, uchigi) go on top.

          Makiwara
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "La Tanya Taylor" <latanya.taylor@...>
            wrote:

            > I got this link from a friend and I am wondering if the pickman
            costumes the
            > children are wearing are period. Can anyone tell me?

            "Aren't you a little short to be an ashigaru?"

            I think so. I will cheerfully defer to the armor experts, but they
            look like they've been kitted out as ashigaru (infantry) to me. The
            Soma Noma Oi festival (Wild Horse Chase) dates back to the Heian
            period, if I recall.

            For some more gorgeous photos of this event, check out:
            www.pbase.com/joanseeuw/soma_nomaoi_2005

            Saionji no Hanae
            West
          • Park McKellop
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2006
              They are probably made from cardboard, but other than that, they look okay.

              Alcyoneus