[SCA-JML] Re: kanji and romanji

  • BamboOni@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 28, 2000
      In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, akimoya@...
      writes:

      > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
      >
      > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
      >
      > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that would
      > > be really cool.
      >
      > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
      >
      > Akimoya
      > Ealdormere

      I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two different
      computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???

      Oni
    • akimoya
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
        On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > Although most of the really juicy tortur... ah, interview methodologies ...
        > really are recorded from Edo, they seem to have had their origins in older
        > days.

        I don't suppose you have any references...

        > The various methods of tying were indeed old, and different houses reputedly
        > had their own secret knots to tie prisoners with.

        So I have heard aserted.

        Akimoya
        Ealdormere
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 29, 2000
          Baron Edward!

          It is the "dynafont" set priced at 12,000Y (It was marked at $95.00 and
          I think I got it for less than that, but it's still worth every penny at
          $95.00.)
          It has a font called heiseimincho, a gyosho font, and other neat stuff.
          I am still after a couple of Japanese fonts, but finding stuff of this
          sort outside of Japan is pretty amazing. I think that there is a Sumo
          ban typeface in the second disk, but it is not shown on the back of the
          box. RFNum117 looks like it might be a Sumo-ban font. (Unfortunately,
          the booklet only shows the numerals and few special signs. I don't feel
          like installing the font just to find out.)

          I still want fonts for several of the old-style character styles which
          I have forgotten the names of (at least some of them). Unfortunately,
          my best calligraphy manual (which had all of this stuff in it)
          dissappeared at Pennsic several years ago along with two rings. I
          hope that whoever has them has at least found a use for them and has
          not just thrown them out due to being mean.

          Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
          Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
          Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

          | techie.com |
        • akimoya
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 30, 2000
            On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > Unfortunately, I can not even order a copy of the lost book from
            > Kinokuniya as I do not have a copy of the article I wrote for
            > Pikestaff which has the book cited in the bibliography.

            I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find the East Kingdom Chronicler,
            and ask them to look for your article; they're certain to have back issues
            archived somewhere.

            Akimoya
            Ealdormere
          • Ogami Itto
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
              bamboon-@... wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/sca-jml/?start=182
              > In a message dated 1/28/00 4:29:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              akimoya@...
              > writes:
              >
              > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
              > >
              > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict
              > >
              > > > Oh, and if someone could write it in a calligraphic style, that
              would
              > > > be really cool.
              > >
              > > You can download the gif files for the kanji, if you want.
              > >
              > > Akimoya
              > > Ealdormere
              >
              > I seem to be having trouble getting onto that site. i tried two
              different
              > computers. Is it just me or is anybody else having problems???
              >
              > Oni

              I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
              computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

              And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
              asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
              anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
              votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

              Ogami Itto
            • Kass McGann
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                Ogami Itto

                Personally, I don't mind your questions, Ogami-wake. If you didn't ask
                something, I fear the list would be totally quiet.

                I just wish you guys would talk about something other than weapons
                sometimes... ;)

                Fujiwara no Aoi-hime
              • Joshua Badgley
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 31, 2000
                  On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                  > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                  > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                  > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                  > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                  >
                  > Ogami Itto

                  I love it when people ask questions, and my apologies if I cannot always
                  answer them. Please, continue asking questions!

                  Godric Logan
                  aka Joshua Badgley
                • BamboOni@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                    In a message dated 1/31/00 9:12:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    shubnigurath@... writes:

                    > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                    > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                    > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                    > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).
                    >
                    > Ogami Itto

                    By no means.... You are just asking questions before I think to ask them.....

                    Oni
                  • akimoya
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                      On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

                      > > > You can try going to the Japanese-English dictionary server at:
                      > > >
                      > > > http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                      > I concur. I have tried this same listing twice on two separate
                      > computers as well. No luck. Alternate site, anyone?

                      Try the US server at:

                      http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                      Akimoya
                      Ealdormere
                    • Jordan Malokofsky
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                        Ogami Itto wrote:
                        > And while i'm here, since I seem to be the only one actually
                        > asking questions all the time, is this getting seriously annoying to
                        > anyone? I mean, should I shut up, or something? I'll start tabulating
                        > votes (no, you can't vote more than once, Baron Master Edward-tono).

                        And if you're the only one asking questions and stop, then this list
                        wouldn't be good for very much with no postings, would it? I vote for
                        your continued questions.

                        Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
                        <There is an exception to every rule.>

                        Jordan Malokofsky - Mundane
                        Tatsuki Akira - SCA
                        Sir Pip - Cyberspace Avatar
                        http://www.malokofsky.ann-arbor.mi.us
                      • akimoya
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2000
                          On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, akimoya wrote:

> [...]

                          I just discovered that they've changed the domain name at the Canadian
                          Server for the J-E Dictionary; it is now:

                          http://enterprise.dsi.crc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e/dict

                          Akimoya
                          Ealdormere
                        • BamboOni@aol.com