Re: [SCA-JML] Renga Kyougen Play (was: Poetry)

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 6, 2005

      >What is the name of the play? Has it been translated into English?

      If people are interested in performing it at Pennsic, I will
      translate the synopsis.
      Originally, kyougen was improvisational. Complete play texts were not recorded
      until the seventeenth century. There is a book of play synopsis dating to the
      sixteenth. Kyougen is at least as old as Noh and is mentioned by Ze'ami.
      Here are several plays:

      Daikokurenga - gods & felicitous plays genre - 6 or more players & chorus
      Hachikurenga - friends & neighbours genre - 2 players
      Renganusubito - thieves genre - 3 players
      Rengabishamon - gods & felicitous plays genre - 3 & chorus

      I was actually thinking of one that is in the women's plays genre,
      but I can not
      remember its name off the top of my head.

      A few kyougen have been translated into English over the years, but
      most have not.
      There is an English book of play synopsis available. If I remember
      correctly, it was
      written by Donald Keene.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • Barbara Nostrand