drum on ebay

  • Jennifer Oaks
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
      Would this work as a small taiko?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&rd=1&item=3961014425&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

      (in case the link doesn't work) it appears to be a drum made from a
      small hollowed out log with rawhide heads--I can't really tell from
      the pictures how they're attached. Drum is 8 inches tall and 7
      inches in diameter, so it is rather small. Thoughts?

      Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai
    • Diane Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
        It looks interesting... Looks like the heads are attatched by the X
        lacing from head to head. It's hard to see in the picture. I dont
        know Looks like a good beginner taiko. Who knows?

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Oaks" <onewringgold@a...>
        wrote:

        > Would this work as a small taiko?
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
        > ViewItem&rd=1&item=3961014425&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT
        >
        > (in case the link doesn't work) it appears to be a drum made from
        > small hollowed out log with rawhide heads--I can't really tell from
        > the pictures how they're attached. Drum is 8 inches tall and 7
        > inches in diameter, so it is rather small. Thoughts?
        >
        > Keiaiji no Nyudo Nyodai
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005

          >Would this work as a small taiko?

          No. The shape and detailing is wrong. I'm not sure that it would even work as a
          wu drum. You should have taken the taiko building class at Pennsic.
          You can make
          a resonably good fake taiko out of old wooden barrels.

          | trash by my email filters. |
        • S. David Lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Taylor" <qara0@y...> wrote:

            > It looks interesting... Looks like the heads are attatched by the
            > lacing from head to head. It's hard to see in the picture. I dont
            > know Looks like a good beginner taiko. Who knows?

            I do. (He said with a wide grin.)

            I personally wouldn't bother with it. It's too small, too rough,
            and too much trouble. It would be much easier to make your own from
            scratch than it would be to try to 'Japanify' this one.

            Now, if you'd *like* to build your own taiko, there are a few 'how-
            to' articles up on the Yama Kaminari web site on that very subject.
            -Ogami
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005

              Greetings from Solveig! I do hope that none of you are planning on
              bidding against
              me on this book.

              | trash by my email filters. |
            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
                Didn't you already have a copy?

                -Ii

                On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:19:26 -0500, Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:
                > Noble Cousins!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig! I do hope that none of you are planning on
                > bidding against
                > me on this book.
                > --
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar
                >
                > +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur
                > |
                > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est
                > |
                > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@...

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Solveig
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
                  Ii dono!

                  Greetings from Solveig!

                  >Didn't you already have a copy?

                  I have a photocopy of a library copy. If I can obtain an original,
                  then I can freely
                  reproduce the illustrations in articles on kamon and Japanese heraldry. While
                  the last time the question of copyright of facsimiles of graphic art
                  was litigated
                  the court held that the work was freely copyable, I would prefer not to have to
                  go to court.

                  | trash by my email filters. |